cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Protect: sharing?

EmpireCad
Grafter

Plusnet Protect: sharing?

For years now a friend and I (both PN customers with just one laptop each) have shared a 3-licence subscription for McAfee Internet Security Suite.  Full price is c.£55 but we have always received a late offer renewal email for half price so it ends up costing us about £14 each per year. McAfee are fully aware of the sharing arrangement and perfectly happy with it.
From what I can see the Plusnet Protect package for up to 7 PCs is the same thing?  Can anyone confirm this please?
I have just received my first renewal email from McAfee (due to renew early May) at full price and having switched me to their “Auto-Renewal” scheme without asking me if I would like to be in it which has upset me rather.  I don’t know whether I will get the usual 50% discount eventually and frankly I don’t like playing this annual game of “chicken” waiting to renew till the last minute.  So I have been looking at the latest PN Protect “3 months free” offer.  The initial teething troubles seem to have abated judging by the lack of forum activity on the subject since late 2010.  Or have I failed to find the relevant posts?  Is everyone happy with “Protect” now?
And the real question is, since we only want to protect one laptop each, can my friend and I, each with a separate PN ID and account, somehow find a way to share a Plusnet Protect subscription?  Sorry to be a superscrimper but times are tight!
4 REPLIES 4
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Plusnet Protect: sharing?

Understand what you're saying but there's not really any way to share a single subscription across multiple accounts as the account identifier is the way the licenses are distinguished I'm afraid. You'd of course both be welcome to take up the three months free offer independently though.
EmpireCad
Grafter

Thanks, Matt.  I thought that would be the answer but worth asking the question.  I guess we will just have to wait and see how low McAfee go this year in their anticipated Dutch Auction and we will go for the better offer from PN or them.
EmpireCad
Grafter

Just thought I would update you on this. McAfee started off offering renewal to Internet Security Suite (3 licence) for about £57. Then around £27.  Then an upgrade to "Total Protection" for about £29. Which then reduced to £19.99 when I started the purchase process online.  Split with my friend I now have "total protection" for a year for under £10.  Downloading and installing was straightforward if a little slow (about 45 minutes) on laptops running W7 and Vista but a real pain to load and install on a desktop using XP. The latter not only required Internet Security Suite to be uninstalled first but also to download and run a special McAfee uninstaller to get rid of all McAfee applications on my computer which I didn't even know were there.  Quite a faff so a good job I have the time, patience and like a challenge!  However all up and running now till next year!
If this sort of deal is available to me I would have thought Plusnet would be able to negotiate a better deal for PlusNet Protect?  And would it not be better to offer the relevant number of licences actually required on a sliding scale of charges?  After all who actually has seven PCs to cover?
Just a thought.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

What do you think McAfee offers that is better than MS Security Essentials which is free?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)