cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Protect and McAfee

Puck

Plusnet Protect and McAfee

I am having problems with Plusnet Protect at the moment. I keep needing to run McAfee Virtual Technician as my updates either don't happen or seem to get stuck installing either on 0% or for some curious reason 66%. MVT usually picks up the problem and updates DAT. but I have to keep checking to see if Plusnet Protect is updating which is a pain. The scheduled Scan is not functioning properly either and I have to run a Full scan manually.  However, I am not sure who to contact for Help and Support. The last time I contacted Plusnet Help and support about Plusnet Protect it took ages and I think I contacted McAfee direct in the end. I am not sure what the relationship is between McAfee and Plusnet and whether I have an account or am registered with McAfee itself and can use their services? I seem to remember either seeing I or Plusnet was registered on the McAfee support site but it was awhile ago. Would it be quicker to contact McAfee direct, can I register and get support direct ? Do people use the McAfee forums? Plusnet Protect is obviously a package put together by McAfee for Plusnet so where and who is responsible for support and are Plusnet Protect customers getting a cut price and inadequately supported product?
There, I think that covers my concerns. I have been meaning to check this out for awhile but  where to start ? Hope someone can enlighten me both as to the update and schedule issues and the wider question about Plusnet Protect support and  McAfee. I have always used McAfee, before I switched to Plusnet it was part of my o2 package, and for the most part it seems to work OK and do the job. However it is the support when things go wrong that bothers me and am wondering whether it might just be less hassle to use Windows Defender.
2 REPLIES 2
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Re: Plusnet Protect and McAfee

Technically, it should be for us to pick up. You don't have an account with McAfee (hopefully it comforts you to know that we can't simply just pass on your details), though we can raise cases with them on your behalf.
Quote from: Puck
I have always used McAfee, before I switched to Plusnet it was part of my o2 package,

I can't help but think that this might be relevant. In your migration over to us, did you fully remove McAfee for the interim? It might be worth removing any traces of it from your computer and reissuing it from scratch.
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
Puck

Re: Plusnet Protect and McAfee

Hi, thanks for your reply. I am fairly sure that when I switched to Plusnet from o2 that I had to unistall the o2 McAfee service and. reinstall Plusnet Protect. I have only recently noticed the issues with the scheduled scan and updates, although it has happened intermittently in the past. As to the question of who technically provides support for Plusnet Protect, as I mentioned ,on the previous occasion I contacted Plusnet support it took ages to get a response from my ticket and I think I just contacted McAfee in the meantime to resolve the problem. As you point out support may have to contact McAfee on my behalf anyway and I wonder how much of a priority we are to McAfee. I got the impression this is why it took so long to get a response before. As well as this the Help option on the Plusnet console just takes a user to the Plusnet Protect guide which provides no troubleshooting advice, I don't think it even mentions the McAfee Virtual Technician which is McAfees own first option if a user is experiencing problems. With o2 a user was taken from the console Help option direct to McAfee Help and support which would seem an obvious solution. The advantage of Plusnet Protect is cost, you are provided with a McAfee security suite for little or no cost which is great as long as it works OK but not so good if you need support quickly, after all the whole point of a security suite is that it provides up to date protection 24/7.