Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Protect and Firefox 5 - Siteadvisor problem

popeyeuk
Grafter

Plusnet Protect and Firefox 5 - Siteadvisor problem

Hi All
Not sure if this has already been asked..  I upgraded my Firefox browser to version 5 some time ago.  This resulted in
the Plusnet Protect  SiteAdvisor Add On being disabled due to some incomaptibility..
Does anyone know if this issue will be resolved?  There is lots of chat about it over on the Mcafee forums..
5 REPLIES 5
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: Plusnet Protect and Firefox 5 - Siteadvisor problem

I've emailed the folk at McAfee as follows but I'm yet to receive a response:
[quote author="Bob Pullen"]Hi guys,
As I'm sure you're aware, our 'Plusnet Protect' product is built using McAffee's anti-virus/security suite - http://www.plus.net/addons/protect/
Recently a few customers have contacted us to advise the the 'Site Advisor' element of our software has ceased to function with the most recent stable build of Mozilla Firefox (5.01).
This seems to be an issue that's been discussed at length in various threads over on your own forums -
https://community.mcafee.com/thread/36707?start=10&tstart=0
It's also something that Mozilla published details about when they launched Firefox 5.
I've read the following announcement on your forums:
> 'The decision has been made to completely re-write the FF plug-in to make it easier to update so we’re not always scrambling to catch-up whenever Mozilla decides to release a new version. The *guesstimated* time-frame from SA Dev is about a month before this complete re-write is available. Until then they’ve are deliberately blocking SA from loading in FF 5 to prevent the possibility of crashes.'
As that was posted on the 24th June, do we have a more accurate ETA as to when the problem will be resolved? Also, will our software update automatically or will some intervention be required on our part?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

popeyeuk
Grafter

Thnaks Bob... Wink
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

The stand alone free version has been working with FF 5 since the 8th of this month , version 3.4.0.
Mcafee must be slow updating SiteAdvisor on their bundled products.
Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I've since received word from Mcafee that there's an update for the security suite we use with Plusnet Protect. This addresses the Site Advisor incompatibility issue. I've also been informed that the updated Site Advisor can be provided to us outside of the main update if required. We'll need to discuss the options here at Plusnet Towers first, however looks like there's a fix on the horizon...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Sorry to revive an old thread but does anybody who uses Plusnet Protect/Firefox know if this is still an issue?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team