cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Protect Problems (McAfee).

buseng12
Grafter

Plusnet Protect Problems (McAfee).

Not sure if this is in the right section but I am having issues with my Plusnet Protect programme.
I think there was a programme update (as opposed to a definitions update) recently.
Since then the following problems have occurred, the programme does not update correctly - before I had a blue notification  box pop up telling me the programme has updated on the bottom right of my screen. This does not happen any more, I just get a small blue circle hanging on the McAfee icon in the taskbar & I  have to open PP for the update to continue.
Also the McAfee firewall keeps turning itself off on it's own & I have to go into the programme again to switch it back on.
Windows firewall is switched off so there shouldn't be any clash.
I am running Windows 10 & these issues didn't appear until the latest programme update.
Any ideas please?
12 REPLIES 12
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: Plusnet Protect Problems (McAfee).

I have win10 , and all i use is Windows Defender and Malwarebytes  , as i have for several years win7 before and have yet to get any virus .
its personal preference , some here will say the same McAfee is not the best and uninstall for another AV
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
amigos2
Dabbler

I have similar symptoms to buseng12. I often notice that the hard drive light is flashing away for no obvious reason, and then I see the little blue circle on the McAfee icon in the taskbar. When I go into McAfee I see that is is trying to install updates, but is sitting at 0%. Once I'm there it seems to continue (and sometimes finds updates and sometimes doesn't). At first I thought it was just running updates more frequently which is why I was noticing the little blue circle more often, but now I think it is getting stuck. I installed Windows 10 a couple of weeks ago, but I can't remember if it was happening before that.
I have also seen warnings about the McAfee firewall being turned off (usually when starting Google Chrome), but it hasn't happened very often, and as it restarts as I continue with Google Chrome, I haven't been too concerned.
oldbaldeagle
Grafter

I don't currently use Plusnet Protect on my main computer, but have just checked on an old laptop I keep as a spare.  If you click on 'Navigation' in the top right of the Protect screen there are options under General Settings and Alerts where you can select what 'Informational Alerts' you require.
I've tried Windows 10 and found it impossible to load Plusnet Protect and could only get Comodo internet security to work with the greatest difficulty.  I've since gone back to Windows 7 and peace and serenity have been restored!
For the time I used Windows 10 I got the impression that it was designed to make it as hard as possible to use non-Microsoft programs - maybe I'm seeing a conspiracy where there isn't one!!
Jon  Crazy
buseng12
Grafter

I was just to post back on this & then saw amigos2's reply!  It's exactly the same problems  I'm having. I "think" it is more to do with a recent McAfee programme update rather than a Windows 10 issue (I maybe wrong though).
I have now realised it is happening on at least two Windows 10 machines in my house.
Always used to get a blue notification message on the lower right of my screen when McAfee updates were installed, but no more. Of the issues mentioned, the firewall switching off one is of some concern.
As this is a P/N provided programme as part of my package I think they should look into it!
buseng12
Grafter

Just ran MVT & it has come up with some strange issues!
It says the subscription has run or about to run out (thought Plusnet Protect was ongoing).
Also mentions the update problem as well.
My computer clock is ok.
Yes Windows firewall is off, surely you are not supposed to run more than one firewall at once?
Some serious problems here which need sorting asap.
dee288
Hooked

I have the same problems regarding the updates.  The blue circle stays on forever and it causing slow down on all uses.  The only answer I have found is to switch off the automatic updates and do it manually.  Fine as long as you remember!  This should not be necessary.  Have tried MVT  -  says there are no faults!
amigos2
Dabbler

I have just installed and run MVT, and it says there are no problems. 
I haven't used MVT before, but I don't think it is telling buseng12 that there are lots of problems. Just the one highlighted in red (subscription running out)?    I think the other issues are just examples of other common issues that could occur?
I'm still getting the problem with the automatic updates getting stuck though.
buseng12
Grafter

This seems to be a major problem with the latest McAfee all over.
https://community.mcafee.com/community/home
The current build is 4121 & a new build, 5084, is supposed to be coming out to solve it.
When we will receive it is anybody's guess?
The current beta build has the fix.
amigos2
Dabbler

I'm still experiencing this problem, and in fact if anything it is getting worse, as sometimes the update now stays at 0% and is not kicked into action simply by opening the program. Sometimes a computer restart is required. I'm surprised this is not being flagged by more people as I can't imagine my PC is any different from thousands of others.
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

I'm surprised our forum cognoscenti haven't been on and warned you against this software. There is not much advice available on the forum as the usual advice is to ditch it, most free packages are better. I run AVG it's faster and more effective  Roll_eyes
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Exception

Just tried to log this issue with PlusNet support - their suggestion was to post to this forum which, apparently, they monitor!  Angry
So ... I have PlusNet protect (McAfee) installed on several home machines running different versions of Windows: Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, and all exhibit the same behaviour:
The PlusNet protect icon on the system tray area will show the grey box informing that an action is taking place. 
Hovering the icon, shows an update is underway. However, the update never completes. The only recourse is to launch McAfee and open the Update panel. The update will then run immediately.
I'd classify this as an "annoyance" rather than a fault, but any advice is welcome.
PlusNet, prove that you're monitoring this forum and post some useful advice!
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

some months back mcafee started to do odd things with the updates and often would effectively install a second copy of its self and start causing screwy things to happen on my pc, the answer was to uninstall it, run the mcpr tool then get a new install which is the latest version, it got so bad it was doing it every time there was a program update that I just stopped reinstalling mcafee and used defender instead, it caused even more odd behaviour when I updated to windows 10 on one of the rarely used systems and forgot to uninstall mcafee, it literally slowed the system to a crawl (10+ minutes to finish loading the desktop on cold boot) needless to say I uninstalled mcafee and ran the mcpr tool and the machine was fully booting from cold start in 35 seconds which was more like the expected behaviour.
my serious advise with regard to mcafee would be to ditch it at this point and use something else unless your prepared to constantly be needing to completely remove and then reinstall it, the program currently doesn't seem fit for purpose, I'll likely try it again in the future on a spare machine if for no other reason than to see if the problems of the past have been fixed, after all it was a very simple to use and effect program before it started to go completely pete tong
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you