cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Protect (McAfee)

Nomadic
Grafter

Plusnet Protect (McAfee)

Hi, I have in the past few weeks started to experience a problem which I think may be due to Plusnet Protect (McAfee).
When using Chrome, the pages intermittently fail to open and Resolving Host can be seen in the lower left corner of the pages.
I have tried flushing DNS and also setting up Google DNS wthout success. I found that if I try to  ping my router 192.168.1.254 I get a response but when I ping bbc.co.uk there is no reply. Disconnecting and connecting WIFI did not help.
I have just found that turning Plusnet Protect firewall off and on gets me going again. I Googled McAfee + resolving Host and found hits which suggest that others have experienced similar problems.
Plusnet Firewall is Version 15.0 Build 15.0.188 Last update 24/06/2015. Plusnet SecurityCenter Version 14.0 Build 14.0.1029 Last Update 24/06/2015
I checked and Plusnet Protect is set for automatic updates and I am not aware of having made any changes which might have caused the problem.
I don't know if this is related, but I have also started to have a long delay getting connected to my home WIFI when my notebook is coming out of standby. I have tried different releases of my Intel WIFI adapter drivers which did not make any difference.
4 REPLIES 4
Nomadic
Grafter

Re: Plusnet Protect (McAfee)

I've just been reading a McAfee thread https://community.mcafee.com/thread/80113?start=110&tstart=0
It appears that turning off NetGuard stops the problem for a lot of people. I will give it a try and see what happens.
philipr06
Grafter

If you are using McAfee on your computer you might as well be using a wet piece of tissue paper as a defense..
It's totally useless.
Nomadic
Grafter

Hi Philip, that's interesting, I have been using McAfee provided by Plusnet and o2 for about 8 years and have not had any major problems. I also use Win Patrol and Spybot for additional protection.
What Anti Virus software do you recommend?
BTW Since disabling NetGuard network blocking has stopped but I still have long delays connecting to my Technicolor TG582n FTTC router when I restart my laptop from standby.
philipr06
Grafter

Been using Panda for 2 years.
Scan with ADWCleaner and malewarebytes every few weeks and they always find nothing.
The best antivirus solution is common sense lol