cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Protect (McAfee) and VPN connection

benfabi

Plusnet Protect (McAfee) and VPN connection

Hi,
I have operated a VPN connection (daily) for about 9 months without problem in my home office.  Since the latest update to the plusnet protect product (a pretty major UI overhaul by the look of it), I can't operate the VPN without the firewall switched off.  It seems to work ok once the firewall is back on for a short while but then blocks me.  Does anyone know if this is an issue with the update and how I can fix it?
I have:
Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
Wired connection (via TP Link Powerlines) to the standard plusnet supplied fibre optic router and BT modem
I am a fibre and phone customer
I am using McAfee plusnet protect v12.8 build 12.8.856, the personal firewall is v13.8 build 13.8.712
I can happily supply anything else required, I'm no computer whizz but I know my way around windows and can easily follow instructions.
Grateful for any help on this, I'm really hoping that it is a simple setting just a bit beyond my technical knowledge.
Cheers
Ben
6 REPLIES 6
petejackson
Grafter

Re: Plusnet Protect (McAfee) and VPN connection

Hi, can you confirm that your VPN works fine when you switch the McAfee Firewall off?
benfabi

Hi PeterJ
Yeah, all fine when I have the firewall switched off, in fact I can connect with it down and then turn it straight back on, but it then drops it again within 2-8 hours.
As I said, I've run this connection for about 9 months without change and without issue and the morning that Plusnet Protect updated a few weeks ago this problem started.
Cheers
Ben
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

a quick Google threw up these links
https://community.mcafee.com/thread/57340
https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB70119
So it appears to be a problem with the Host Intrusion Prevention HIPS8
petejackson
Grafter

We're aware that some customers are experiencing issues following recent updates by McAfee. This is being investigated and I'll make a note of your specific issue.  I'd advise re-installing your security software from the downloads page. Probably be best if you log into the Member Centre and just make sure that your 'Download Now' button is showing before you begin.  
https://portal.plus.net/McAfee/downloads.html
Uninstall from the Control Panel and then do a clean install.
benfabi

Thanks Oldjim, I never would have found that from a google search (not really knowing what I'm looking for!). 
However, do either of those threads actually give me a way to fix this issue now? I'm 99% confident that I'm using the native Windows VPN (which is supported according to that first link).
Thanks
benfabi

Peter,
This issue is still here, and I can't do anything about HIPS 8 within the Plusnet Protect UI by the look of it.  Did this issue simply get lost in the mist or is there a fix for it now?