Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Modem....frequency

FIXED
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Plusnet Modem....frequency

I use a PN modem for fibre broadband but does anyone know what frequency it works on.

The reason I wish to know is that I have tried pairing it with a TP smart plug which clearly states it only works on the 2.4 band.

I understand there may be a option to change to a alternative band but as everything currently works ok would rather return the plug than experiment.

I have downloaded the recommended KASA app for the plug.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
3 REPLIES 3
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Plusnet Modem....frequency

@gleneagles Download and install   Inssider    .... free stuff... you will see all available wifi within about 100 yards... the channel they are on... and the frequency band they use..  ( I think the latest version has separate pages or graphs,  for 2.4 and 5. bands )

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

The PN router has both 2.4 and 5ghz bands. If you separate them, you can connect your home plug to the 2.4 network.

Mark

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Fix

Yep as @Marksfish said it will use both with the same SSID, which may cause problems if you're using equipment which only works on 2.4Ghz.

There is a setting on the Hub One for example to split them into two SSID's - so you can name them something like WhateverYouWant-2.4 and WhateverYouWant-5. Tell the home plugs to use WhateverYouWant-2.4 which you know only uses 2.4 and the plugs won't try to switch to 5Ghz and stop working.

Sounds like a split is the way to go.