cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Hub One with own router

kemik77

Plusnet Hub One with own router

Scenario

Own router currently working on Plusnet no problems but need it as it has a device management platform on it that I can't do without

I know want to use a Youview box on my network but my current router doesn't support IGMP for streaming that is needed by Youview box

So the question is can I terminate broaband on the new Plusnet Hub One router and just have the Youview box plugged into the LAN but then connect Plusnet Hub One to the WAN port of my existing router so that my current LAN stays untouched. Like creating a DMZ so that the Youview box works?

Does that make sense?

3 REPLIES 3
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Plusnet Hub One with own router

If your current modem/router is working without the Hub One then the answer is yes but not as you are suggesting. What you need to do is connect the Hub one as an access point see here.  https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-a-2nd-Plusnet-Hub1-as-a-Wireless-Access-point/m-p/1385...

You then connect it to your router using tha LAN sockets at both ends.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

kemik77

No that's not what I am looking to do I don't need to have 2 access points

The Youview box needs IGMP snooping

My existing router doesn't have that

I want to therefore use the Plusnet router for only the Youview box to enable streaming but as the broadband will terminate on the Plusnet router as opposed to my current router I will need to have 2 subnets and static routing setup

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

but as the broadband will terminate on the Plusnet router as opposed to my current router I will need to have 2 subnets and static routing setup

If you don't mind the double NAT situation then just make sure that the LAN subnet of the Hub One is different to that of your existing router. Set your existing router WAN to DHCP instead of PPPoE and connect it's WAN port to a LAN port on the Hub one. You shouldn't need any static routes. Of course if you've currently got any port forwarding needs then it's going to get more complicated...

The Youview box needs IGMP snooping

My existing router doesn't have that

Are you absolutely sure it doesn't have that , what model is it ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.