cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Hub One light...

chimicherry
Dabbler

Plusnet Hub One light...

I had my fibre service set up yesterday and I'm pretty happy with the Plusnet Hub One router that was supplied. My only gripe is the massive blue light across the router. My router is set up in my bedroom as there's nowhere else for it to go. I know there's an option to dim the light, which I have done, but the light bar is still very bright at night. Is there any way of disabling this light completely? If not, would there be any chance of a firmware patch that gives users the ability to do so?
Failing that, are there any good routers with similar specs on the market? There are some that I've looked at but I'm not sure how the specs compare, plus I don't particularly want three huge antennae sticking out of it if possible. But the main requirement is a router that doesn't have a huge neon blue light illuminating the room all night. This router would have been perfect if the little panel below it had a small status indicator on it and that was used instead of the light bar.
8 REPLIES 8
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Plusnet Hub One light...

best bet is to get some black electrical tape and cover it over, that way if you do need to check on it at some point your able to peel it up but otherwise the annoying bright light is hidden even if your custom code failed to work or you forgot to switch it off via control panel which saves you from having to get out of bed switch on the pc and then remedy the situation, sometimes old fashioned is better than new fangled Tongue
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

Crack it open and cut the offending LED(s) off the board, I've yet to work out why devices such as routers need to be lit up like an ornament when most of the time they're kept out of sight, waste of electricity and resources if you ask me...
nanotm
Pro

iirc its because people need visual indications there working given there are no other ways to confirm it ...... I also don't understand why newer generation devices have ultra bright high power led's though, muted orangey green eco led's are more than good enough cost less to use in the production and less to run, don't require a heat sink either ....
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I've got an "eco" 8 port switch!
It has a absolutely massive LED to indicate it's plugged in.
Each separate port has an equally massive LED (green=gigabit, orange=10/100Mbit).
Since it sits on top of my PVR, every day is Christmas.
Still got to finish wiring it up...

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

nanotm
Pro

@vilefox,
I was referring to the routers, I have had many of them in the last 16  years and only one has had led's that illuminate the room in the evening (it was also a "freebie" from an isp) the remainder al have orangey green muted lights, the d-ink go 5 and 8 port switches also have similarly muted ight levels coming off them
sure you can get the high light output units but why would you when there are better alternatives for use in the home?
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Because it was cheap (£12).

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: nanotm
iirc its because people need visual indications there working given there are no other ways to confirm it

My positively ancient D-Link DIR-615 has a way to confirm it's operating, a series of subtle green LEDs along the front, a power light that starts orange then turns green as it boots, a row of green LEDs that blink when traffic passes through the device based on what port it's going through, and a little globe indicator that is orange when t'internet is offline, and turns green when t'internet is online, there's also a WPS button on the side, never used that though, flashes bright blue apparently...
If that's not confirming the working status, what's wrong with newer routers?? Grin
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

I made a template which I use.
Simply print it off, fold the paper over so you got that thickness, cut the inner box out then fold it over,
pop it where the centre panel is.  The inner cut out allows the user to see if they have a B light or WiFi WPS in action etc flashing.
Plusnet Hub One LED cover (ensure you click on the orange download button, then once countdown ends, click on download again.
Hope this helps  Smiley
NE
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up