cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Hub One Turn Off Smart Set Up

Mccreaso

Plusnet Hub One Turn Off Smart Set Up

Hi guys

I have Sky Q and am having wifi connectivity issue. Sky forum recommends turning off the smart set up feature on my router see link below. I have also seen on some of the threads people recommending to turn of the smart set up on the plusnet hub one, but i cannot find the setting on the router. Anyone have any ideas on how i turn it off?

The smart set up seems to kick in when you coonect to the router to see if you have any connection problems then runs uou through a trobleshooter if you do... i just want to turm this off

Thanks in advance!!

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Q/SOLUTION-Sky-Q-you-are-experiencing-connectivity-issues/td-p/25808...
14 REPLIES 14
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Re: Plusnet Hub One Turn Off Smart Set Up

There isn't a smart set up on Plusnet Hub One's, but there is on some BTHome Hub's.

Are you using a BT Home Hub or a Plusnet Hub One on your Plusnet connection?

In my honest opinion, if it's a Plusnet Hub One and you're connecting your SkyQ via WiFi, I'd connect over Ethernet or failing that I'd start with the WiFi (interference / distance from the hub / if Sky Q can use 5Ghz (not checked).

If it can operate on the 2.4Ghz WiFi and 5Ghz WiFi, you could always trying splitting these on the hub and assuming the SkyQ is close to the hub use 5Ghz or if it's at some distance use 2.4Ghz (5Ghz is better over short distances but 2.4Ghz is better at greater distances)

Mccreaso

Thanks for the reply DS.

Im using the plusnet hub one. I already split the 2ghz and 5ghz and have also tried via ethernet, but still have the same problem. I have also turned off smart channel selector and used some software to analyse the best channel to use and set the wifi to that.

When i set up the hub one for the first time and navigated to the router admin page to enter my plusnet credentials, i got presented with a set up wizard rather than the normal settings page. Maybe this is not called smart set up? Its this feature i want to turn off as i believe its cauing me problems.

Thanks again in advance!
DS
Seasoned Champion

Hmm, how odd.

I know the BT Hubs (upto hub 5) well but only recently signed up to PN and thus obtained a Plusnet Hub One (a BT Hub with references to BT removed or altered to PN). I wonder if my particular hub differs slightly to yours as I'm 100% sure that I never had to go through anything like that*.

Do you have anything switched on on your account, as in Plusnet SafeGuard?

*The only other thing I can think of that I have done differently to you, perhaps, is that I always set up (as in connect to the hub) most of our equipment with the hub powered up yet disconnected from the internet..... a long story, but it used to circumvent any little extras BT tried to force down my neck offer.

This page you see, is it for every new device or just the very first one, as in a laptop or PC? If it was only once and for the very first device then I didn't see that screen/page - but note above, I connected. changed many settings and then connected the hub to the net - if it's not too much of an hassle, possibly you could try to see if your SkyQ works....?

DS
Seasoned Champion

Thinking out loudShocked, so bear with me;)

Do you have WPS enabled? If so, you could try turning it off (I always turn this off and have done since way before the vulnerability was discovered - hence the extra layer was added). If you do try this, any devices that used WPS to connect would need to be reconnected - you'd have to manually type in your current WiFi password in to each device - and any new devices would also need to be manually added.

still thinking... I also always change the default WiFi SSID and password, plus after separating the 2.4 and 5Ghz I always name then differently (tend to add 5Ghz to the latter)

Moz
Grafter

Hi I have Sky Q which had similar problems with connectivity. Loss of signal was almost metronomic going off for a few seconds every 10 minutes. I think what is being referred to on the Sky Forum is the WiFi Channel smart select ( see attached image) I've turned that off on both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz and selected a channel with the least neighbour interference. I used a WiFi analyzer to establish that. I used an Android tablet, there are many free WiFi Analyzers on Google Play. The Q system although connected by 2.4 GHz to the router actually uses a 5 GHz mesh for its own connectivity. So I picked a 5  Ghz channel a few channels away from that mesh. The 2.4 GHz band is getting very congested in some areas. I know some streets in our village where channel selection is a bit of a lottery. I've been fortunate to be able to pick a channel that is fairly quiet. 

My set up involves a booster between my Sliver box and the one mini box as they are separated by 3 brick walls

Now I don't have any magic bullet but this is what happened to me. One day we had a power cut in the house which took everything out on my network. When the power was restored I left everything to sort itself out and the mystery is since that event there have very few drop outs. I do find I still have to reboot the Sky Q Silver box fairly frequently, about once per week. I used to have to that with the Sky+ HD boxes as well so it's no hardship.  

DS
Seasoned Champion

Hi Moz, thanks for that. I've just been reading up on SkyQ as these sorts of posts grab my attention. Their built in PLT (that's currently been switch off by $ky) makes an interesting read.

Interesting what you say - a 5Ghz WiFi overlap unless I'm misunderstanding something...?

Also, just a quick observation. IIRC channel 13 can be problematic for some as it was found that some equipment only 'likes' channels from 1 up to 12.

WiFi overlap on the 2.4Ghz spectrum can be a nightmare too, been there too many times, though I do tend to select channel 1, 6 or 11 (which ironically was/is what the 'smart WiFi' chooses)

Moz
Grafter

I read that too somewhere about Channel 13 but I thought I'd try it an way. I've had no problems with any of the Sky Q boxes they've all connected to the router without issue. My Grandchildren haven't reported any issues with connectivity to their array of devices they bring round and believe me my life wouldn't be worth living if they couldn't connect. Although their devices do tend to pick the 5 Ghz band.

I found when I left the Smart Wifi on, the channel selection was a little questionable.  It didn't seem to pick the quietest or the weakest interfering channels. 

DS
Seasoned Champion

"boxes". Now that's another story. From what I've read briefly this morning, the main Q passes it's own 5Ghz on to the mini Q(s) which wouldn't be an issue for a Sky Hub as it only utilises 2.4Ghz - thus no overlap/interference between both. Yet when we use a betterHuh router that uses both then issues appear to arise.

Although I'm not a Grandanything yet, my teenage son and daughter also have newer gadgets then poor old me on this old laptop - they're on 5Ghz where as this laptop only has 2.4Ghz capabilities (and I did try channel 13 back when I was with BT but it was too flaky at the time, thus I researched wifi overlap and stuck with 1,6 or 11).

I know all too well about life wouldn't be worth living - what would the youth of today do without FaceApp, WhatsBook etc and don't even go there regarding online gaming!!!

'Smart' wifi, is it?;)

Moz
Grafter

I did try Sky Q using Power Line Adapters. In fact when the engineer left me the Silver box was connected that way. He couldn't, however get the mini box to connect using a Power Line Adapter. That's when I ended up with a Booster. However, since then I've reverted my Silver box to WiFi mainly because I re-sited my Hub One to be closer to the Silver Box.

There is a maintenance menu for the mini box, and Silver for that matter. The option to activate the PLT is in that menu although I've never tried it. I've read that people with fully wired systems still get drop outs.

To access the Maintenance menu  Key in 'Home,0,0,1' from the settings menu with no delay between key presses. There are some settings in there that can seriously [-Censored-] up the functionality of the box.  

DS
Seasoned Champion

Not that it matters now, but did you also have another brand/type of PLA connected at the same time? As you know these use the house mains wiring and issues can occur when different types and also can be affected by how the mains wiring is configured.

(If you know about the menu's, then I guess you also know about connecting a $ky router to another ISP's router and utilising the boosters wifi connectivity option - if not google may help if you ever need to in the future)

Moz
Grafter

No issue with the type of PLA used. I use them all the time for different set ups. They're a set all with the same transmission speed. 

I tried using another router as a WiFi booster a few months back for another project. I had a few dead spots around the house I wanted to fill in. However, moving my Hub One to another location solved that issue so it's no longer required. 

DS
Seasoned Champion

Out of curiosity, where they the same brand and type, plus I presume one was set to master and the others were slaves?

Good to hear you've sorted any of your issues out:)

(apologise to the OP for veering a tad off course, how are things at the moment? - fixed or still broken?)

Moz
Grafter

Yes they are all the same brand. I do have one odd one connected to my TV for the odd occasion I need to connect that to my network/internet. It's rated the same as the others but is an older model. I disabled the WiFi on the TV when I was getting Sky Q problems and I've never bothered to set it back up. There's no need for any special setting up of PLAs, although you can password protect them which I've never done. As long as one is connected to the router there's nothing special to do. I suppose you could say that is designated 'Master' but they are just plug and go. 

DS
Seasoned Champion

Thanks for that. I thought you'd say that but was simply checking to see if you'd say two were one brand and the others were another brand - something that other users have tried in the past, hence they started to have issues and weren't sure why;)

I too use PLA's. Currently they serve between the PN Hub One and a BT Hub in my lads room as I never got round to hard wiring;)