cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Checking on Packages?

PaulBenn
Dabbler

Plusnet Checking on Packages?

I have just had a call from 03451126604 from somebody claiming to be from Plusnet and wanting to check that I was getting the best deal. They also wanted to check my address and postcode at which point I told them I thought the call was suspicious as you already have this information. Was this call legitimate?
30 REPLIES 30
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Plusnet Checking on Packages?

There's another report on Who Calls Me that would suggest that this is Plusnet
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Hi there,
This sounds about right, we do occasionally call customers to discuss different packages. The reason they'd ask you for your details would be for in terms of data protection, and to ensure that they're definitely talking to you.
I note that you're opted in for telephone comms from us. Is this still ok? For anyone else reading this, it can be changed here.
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
Estragon
Rising Star

But how do we know it is Plusnet calling us?
PaulBenn
Dabbler

Yes, telephone comms from you are okay. If there is a better package that I could be on I would certainly like to know about it. I do share Estragon's concern that there doesn't seem to be a way of verifying that it is definitely you calling us.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

The reason they'd ask you for your details would be for in terms of data protection, and to ensure that they're definitely talking to you.
I accept that but ( and this is not just a PN problem ), as Estragon and PaulBenn say, the caller has got to be able to prove they're who they say they are. I'm certainly not going to give that sort of information to anyone who can't prove themselves to my satisfaction. I've had similar problems recently with Nationwide, they were calling to discuss my account, but when asked to verify their identity they wouldn't until I'd given my details, and so we agreed that the call could not continue.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: Estragon
But how do we know it is Plusnet calling us?

Well they'll have a Yorkshire accent Well they'd have access to the customer's bills so we'd be able to quote the packages they're on, and quote the prices of previous bills. I'm not sure if you'd find this adequate, but would you be able suggest what we'd be able to say to verify?
Matty
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

I agree
If I get a call asking for my address or any info potentially useful to a fraudster then the call goes no further. There must be a better way of verifying someone when you have called them and not the other way round?
Let's be careful out there !
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@OP - Was that all they asked you? Did you ask for your username and two random characters of your password?
The reason I ask is because the outbound structure for data protection is the same as the inbound one.
PaulBenn
Dabbler

Yes that was all I was asked because it was at that point that I got suspicious especially as, unfortunately, the guy had a foreign accent and there was background noise just like when you get a cold caller. It never crossed my mind that about the password and username as that would certainly be a good way of verifying that the caller was from Plusnet as would the value of a last bill and the package I was currently on.
launton
Grafter

They've been calling me all week and today I picked it up and said "Hello Plusnet" The guy was a bit surprised but I always google unknown numbers anyway.  It's to see if our deal needs changing probably. 
Estragon
Rising Star

I wonder if they are trying to get people off legacy packages and tied into a new 18-month term?
PaulBenn
Dabbler

In my case I don't think it can be that as I haven't been with Plusnet a year yet and I am already tied in lol
Estragon
Rising Star

Are you on 40/20? If so, watch out. If you get a deal at any time it could drop you to 40/2.
PaulBenn
Dabbler

I don't know what 40/20 is lol