cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Assist says it Doesn't Support My IE Browser

Liz42
Dabbler

Plusnet Assist says it Doesn't Support My IE Browser

I am new to PlusNet, though already regretting it!! 
I am having problems with connection but only in the evenings.  I have been given complicated instructions to test my router and filters though what use is this if broadband is up and running and the problems are only intermittent. 
Has anyone else had these problems and what did they do?
I tried to access PlusNet Assist, which I downloaded, but keep getting the message ' PlusNet Assist does not support this browser' despite the fact that I have Internet Explorer 11 installed and no other browser.  PlusNet Assist informs that it supports IE 6 and upwards. 
I am hoping someone out there can give me some advice as I cannot bear another 60 minute+ wait to speak to someone at PlusNet. Angry
18 REPLIES 18
destin8
Dabbler

Re: Plusnet Assist says it Doesn't Support My IE Browser

Have you considered downloading and installing another browser? They're free, and you could delete it again afterwards if it doesn't work. You could try Firefox @ www.firefox.com and see if the assistant works with that.
Liz42
Dabbler

Thanks for reply destin8  however my husband and I are in our seventies and not very technically inclined - we can find our way round IE so don't want to change. 
When you click on PlusNet Assist it states that it supports IE 6 and upwards so can't understand why it doesn't like ours!
destin8
Dabbler

Internet Explorer 11 is very new -- I would guess that Plusnet haven't fully tested it yet. I can't remember the date it came out, but I'm sure it was only in the past two months. I don't use Internet Explorer so I'm not sure if there's a way for it to pretend to be an earlier version than it is. Hopefully someone who can help you more will be along shortly!
ollyk

I appear to have Plusnet assist working on IE11. So unless you are
talking about something else and I have misunderstood.
Select
Tools
Compatibility view settings. Then:
add this website to change compatibility view settings
https://pbttbcpn.bt.motive.com/portal/start.do
(which then appears  just as motive .com in the list
without the front part)
and then after restarting it seems to work for me.
olly.
petejackson
Grafter

Hi Liz,  Plusnet Assist doesn't support IE10 or IE11 at present unfortunately. This is something we hope to resolve next year.
Intermittent faults can sometimes be difficult to diagnose. Do your disconnections happen at the same time? Is it every night?  One of the first places to start would be to change the microfiter you are using, try to have the router plugged into the main 'master' phone socket and see whether anything electrical 'comes on' (heating, fridge, microwave ovens etc) at the time you start to have problems.
petejackson
Grafter

Quote from: ollyk
I appear to have Plusnet assist working on IE11.

In compatibility mode eh? Thanks Olly, I didn't know that! Anyone else can confirm this works for them?
ollyk

Screenshot attached,
Dancer2
Dabbler

IE11..Worked for me too.. It was so easy to follow instructions. Smiley  (I am also in my 70s.. ;))
Thanks. Smiley
silverfinch
Grafter

Hello, I just tried that and motive appeared in top box and I clicked Add, then came out and went back in again. The Motive was not in the added section so I typed https in full and clicked add and shut down computer. Had vanished from the added selection again. So up popped incompatible browser, I also now have IE11 and Windows 7. I don't even get the page that was shown as a screen shot any-more, can't get that far, never mind. I am not quite 70 yet, just dumb concerning computers!  May as well be 170!
ollyk

For some reason if you have "delete browsing history on exit"  ticked it will not save the website address.
So if before you add motive
go to 
Tools
Internet Options
Browsing History and untick the box where it says "Delete Browsing History on exit"
OK
Then try again to save the motive website.
At least for me it wont save when the box is ticked so the above may be why it wont for you.
Olly
silverfinch
Grafter

Hello Ollyk,
Thank you for the reply. I did what you suggested and you were correct. I put that right and tried again, up came 'We have detected you do not have up to date PlusNet Assist' so I clicked the install now but it did nothing. So I found it on the main PN site and downloaded it from there. Then I had to uninstall Assist and have now re-installed it. Up came, you have guessed it!! We have detected you to not have up to date version....I give up for now, back to Sunday papers. When I lose my internet connection I will just do what Assist always says and turn off router and turn it on again. I know I have been advised in the past not to keep doing this as it apparently slows down the computer but can't see another alternative that I understand. thanks any way,
ollyk

Their is one more thing you could try but not sure if it will work.
I think PlusNet assist is just another version of BT Desktop help.
Their is a removal tool written to remove various entries that may not be completely removed by just a standard de-install
which can be found at
http://pbttbc.bt.motive.com/motivedocs/discus/BTDesktopHelpCleanupTool.exe ; which you can then run or (save and run after)
So if you try an add/remove programs and remove plusnet assist
then run the above
then try re-installing it may or may not help.  I am just assuming that many of the entries will be common to both PlusNet and BT.
Most forum experts don't like the software anyway but I just thought I would try to help.
If that doesn't work, then I think I would join you reading the Sunday Papers if I could justify the horrendous price they seem to be !!

Olly
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

See reply #5 from Peter Jackson
  Plusnet Assist doesn't support IE10 or IE11 at present unfortunately. This is something we hope to resolve next year. 

So if running IE11 in 'compatibility mode'  - your reply #4 - doesn't work,  then reinstalling is very unlikely to have any effect?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ollyk

I have no idea why it should work on IE11 for me and dancer2 but silverfinch gets the version problems.
I run Windows 7 so perhaps it is something to do with which version of Windows people run.
The bit about the removal tool was from the BT forums where someone had a similar problem
with versions and this executable was meant to remove some registry entries relating to motive
which I thought might be relevant in silverfinches case as well.  Perhaps not who knows !
was just trying to be of some assistance if I could.
Smiley Smiley  Olly.