cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Assist has fouled up my system and won't uninstall

prl42

Plusnet Assist has fouled up my system and won't uninstall

Ever since installing Plusnet assist I have been unable to use my internet connection for several minutes after booting or returning from hibernate. The symbol in the system tray has the yellow 'unavailable' marker. The assistant starts but is about as much use as a chocolate teapot, just sitting there and putting ticks against things.
Eventually the internet becomes available but Assist seems to leave a load of processes running and these have now started to screw with Windows causing it to loop returning one of these process's windows when executing an 'EnumerateWindows' API call.
When I try to  uninstall Plusnet assist the uninstall starts and then hangs sitting there displaying the message: "Execute: "C:\Program Files\Plusnet Assist\btbb\PlusnetHelpNotifier.exe" "/CleanupRunKey" (but not using any CPU resources.
Anyone know how to get rid of this pest of a program?
4 REPLIES 4
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Plusnet Assist has fouled up my system and won't uninstall

If you haven't had it installed for too long have you tried using the System Restore option - this will however take all your other software installations back to that point in time
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

When you run the Plusnet Assist uninstall task and it stalls, if you go into Task Manager and kill any Plusnet Assist tasks - I think there are two - the uninstall should proceed to completion.
That process won't remove 'motive' and, unless you believe something else uses it, I suggest you also remove that. In my case - see quote below - I had to do that by editing the registry because the Revo uninstaller had removed some of the files but you might be able to remove this using Add/Remove programs to remove Mccicmservice.exe - see thread linked within my quote.
Quote from: spraxyt
There might be clues on what to look for in this thread. I trialled a pre-release version of the software although as a Force9 customer not all the functionality applied for me. I uninstalled this (using Revo) when the final release was ready, but this did not remove "motive". I deleted that from the HKLM hive in the registry (after backing up the key) and deleted the associated folder.
David
kyber
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Thanks for the tips. I have removed (Win 7 64 bit) as described. I think that it is appalling that Plusnet are putting a support application into the wild that will not uninstall cleanly and easily. I chose to remove it as, frankly, it is no help at all and causes problems anyway.
planty

I had the same issue when trying to uninstall after a Windows 8 update (not compatible apparently!).
I found that during the install the app for some reason restarted in the system tray. Exiting the app by right clicking in the system tray icon "Exit", moved the uninstall process on. Had to exit a couple of times before it stayed shutdown and uninstalled fully.