cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Assist fails to launch after installation

Nomadic
Grafter

Plusnet Assist fails to launch after installation

Plusnet Assist fails to launch after apparently successful installation.
Hi, this is my first forum post since switching to Plusnet last week.  Smiley Smiley Smiley
I received an email today advising me about Plusnet Assist and I decided to check it out. The main reason is that my brother who is also a Plusnet customer and not very computer literate often calls me to help sort out his problems. Assist may be the answer as the software for his wifi dongle is a bit erratic.
As I said above, I thought it would be worthwhile and as a trial I have installed it on my Windows 7 Pro laptop with Google Chrome installed. The problem is that it appeared to install correctly, I clicked finish to launch it but nothing happened and I now have a Plusnet Assist icon on my desktop which does not react when I click it. There is also no reaction when clicking the program in the start menu.
I have rebooted my system and it's still the same.  There is no evidence of it running in the Applications page of Task Manager but I do see some processes running which may be related, such as PlusnetHelpNotifier.exe
Apart from Chrome, I have Firefox and IE9 standard and IE9 64 bit but there is no evidence of icons, toolbars or add-ons in any of them.
The Plusnet McAfee firewall did not issue any prompts but I do use WinPatrol which requested authorisation for the two McciCMService processes which I allowed.
I have tried uninstalling, rebooting and reinstalling but it still fails to launch.
The icon has the following target in properties Program%20Files%20(x86)/Plusnet%20Assist/btbb/Start.html When I navigate to the folder and click on it, my Chrome browser opens but nothing displays. Copy paste link but same effect with IE and Firefox.
14 REPLIES 14
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Plusnet Assist fails to launch after installation

Welcome to Plusnet and the forum Nomadic Smiley
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Nomadic
Grafter

Thanks Strat.
jennyBA
Grafter

Hi Nomadic,
I had exactly the same problem and uninstalled and then installed again so many times that i lost count  Roll_eyes It couldn't get the program to open what ever i tried.
So went into IE options checking settings etc. and saw IE was not set as the default so i changed it to the default browser. After i did that low and behold Plusnet Assist finally launched  Smiley Not sure if this will be the solution for you but hope it is  Smiley
Nomadic
Grafter

Hi Jenny,
Many thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try. Do you know if I can then change my default browser back to Google Chrome after initial setup?
If you haven't tried Chome yet give it a go, it's much faster and uncluttered. Once you have imported your bookmarks and customised it's very easy to use.
I'll let you know how I get on with the install.
jennyBA
Grafter

Hi Nomadic, i dont think you can use Plusnet Assist with Chrome but am not certain  Roll_eyes
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Guys,
You don't need IE to be the default browser, it just needs to be installed on your machine.
Jojo Smiley
jennyBA
Grafter

Quote from: Joanne
HI Guys,
You don't need IE to be the default browser, it just needs to be installed on your machine.
Jojo Smiley

I am affraid i dont no what made mine work in the end then LOL  Grin But it  certainly launched for the first time after i had twiddled with my browser settings.
Jen
Nomadic
Grafter

I tried your suggestion Jenny but no luck I'm afraid.  Sad
My laptop is running Windows 7 pro 64 bit and it had been loaded with Internet Explorer 9 and Internet Explorer 9 64 bit. I tried making them the default browser and changed a few of the security settings but the program refuses to start. The program also wouldn't work with Firefox 7.
I stopped using IE quite a few years ago because it was a lot slower than Firefox which I have now stopped using because recently it seemed to be getting new problems each time there was an update. Chrome is my favourite now because it's fast and simple and trouble free so far. The help page says I must use IE to configure settings and I've just spotted what may be the cause of my problem.
Help indicates it can only cope with wifi keys up 32 characters in length, mine is 60 characters. Cry Cry Cry
Nomadic
Grafter

NB.
I forgot the age old rule, RTM Read The Manual  Roll_eyes
jennyBA
Grafter

Quote from: Nomadic
Help indicates it can only cope with wifi keys up 32 characters in length, mine is 60 characters. Cry Cry Cry

Afraid i dont understand the bit about wifi keys  Smiley
I have to keep things simple  Cheesy
jim:green quote fixed mod:end
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I think he means the wireless WPA-PSK Security Encryption (this is from my router which doesn't support the later security)
Nomadic
Grafter

Sorry for not explaining it properly Jenny. Embarrassed
Oldjim is correct,  I am using WI-FI Protected Access Pre Shared keys(WPA-PSK) 8 to 63 Alphanumeric characters (0-9 a-z).
I use a sequence of 60 characters instead of the preset WIFI key which is the default written on the bottom of the router. Some of my friends and family use the same key as me so it's easier to get connected when we go to each other's houses and because it's a longer code it should be more difficult to crack.
Hope this makes sense to you and it also means that I can only use Plusnet Assist if I reduce my code to 32 characters or less.  Sad
jennyBA
Grafter

Thanks Nomadic,  that has made it much clearer to me now  Grin
Javert
Grafter

I hope it’s OK for me to join in here - as I can’t even download it - message in “View Downloads - “This file couldn’t be downloaded.  Program size: 692 KB”.  I have tried 5 or 6 times - but to no avail. My OS is Windows 7, email is MS Outlook - and User Account Control (UAC) is be switched on.

Can anyone offer any suggestions, please?
Thanks