cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Asist - Slow PC

stratwell

Plusnet Asist - Slow PC

I have Norton Security suite loaded on to my main PC.
I use Windows XP - SP3, and the physical memory available to Windows is 391,660KB (from Help in Explorer).
The PC runs quite slowly.
If I upload Plusnet assist will it
(a) compete with Norton?
(b) cause the PC to run even lower as there is another program jostling for available memory?
(c) Would Plusnet Assist help identify any problem causing the slowness of the PC?
(d) Would it be better just to install Plusnet Assist, switch it off from the sysbar, and just use it when there is a problem with the internet, connection, etc?
Thanks
S Sole
8 REPLIES 8
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Plusnet Asist - Slow PC

(a) No
(b) Yes
(c) No
(d) Best to not install it.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I completely agree with ejs' answers.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree too.
After years of additional Windows updates and patches, I wouldn't recommend running Windows XP with less than 1GB or RAM, otherwise the machine's speed is often crippled by constant background disk usage by the virtual memory swap file.
Try using the 'Crucial' memory scanner, to see if your motherboard can accept a memory upgrade - http://www.crucial.com/uk/systemscanner/
If you can fit between 1GB and 2GB, then for relatively low cost you will see a significant improvement in performance.
stratwell

Many thanks to the replies to my query concerning PlusNet Assist.
The total consensus is not to upload this. I will take your advice.
Also my thanks to purleigh for suggesting more RAM. I have run Belarc Advisor which says Slot A0 has 512 MB (but only 384 Usable Installed Memory). Slots A1, A2 and A3 are all empty.
So buying 1Gb or 2Gb from my local PC World seems a good idea.
However should I be careful which memory card I should install and buy if there are options? Or should I go to an online source?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Buy from here http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/drammemory.aspx and their adviser will tell you exactly what you can install and give a full guarantee that it will work.
Just to add - their RMA system is one of the best
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would run the Crucial scanner (from either my original link or Oldjims), as that will give you all the available memory kits and associated prices.
What you buy will depend on how much you want to spend.
You could fit one extra 512MB, which would be minimum cost and maximum benefit.
In my experience, the RAM fitted to consumer PCs is often far slower than the motherboard can operate with.  Therefore you might get better results by removing the existing 512MB card, and replacing it with a faster 1GB memory card.  
Some memory configurations work better when fitted in pairs (as the memory advisor will tell you), therefore buying a memory kit with a pair of 1GB memory cards is likely to be your best option.
After fitting ANY new memory I would ALWAYS advise running a memory checking program overnight to ensure both the memory is completely working and that your motherboard BIOS is happy with the new configuration.  I personally ALWAYS do this before allowing the PC to boot to the Operating System (for the first time) to minimize the risk of crashing the OS if something is not quite right.
I use 'Memtest86' which is free to download from http://www.memtest86.com/
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

I used mrmemory.co.uk to easily find and order the correct 1GB RAM module for a friend's Vista PC and it completely transformed its performance for the grand total of £11.82!
(Probably very similar to what Crucial do, but might as well give credit where it's due.  :)).
drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Did you get it sorted? My current computer came with a measly 256KB RAM - I quickly bought another matching 256KB RAM stick via eBay. However once memory prices came down I upgraded using Crucial's site to a matched pair of 1GB modules. It's been fine ever since.