cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet 2704n and wifi bridging

gronda

Plusnet 2704n and wifi bridging

Has anyone had success in setting up a wifi bridge with a 2704n? I'm currently using powerline networking to link some NAS drives upstairs with the network downstairs but something is causing the network connection to drop out every now and then. I've not yet been able to identify a culprit (the drop outs don't seem to follow any set pattern of time of day or frequency, and they aren't enough to entirely bork the connection as the plugs usually reconnect pretty quickly. As a temp workaround I've massively increased the volume of  data that are buffered when streaming media but I was looking at bridging as a longer term solution that also means I don't need to drill holes and have a cable running down a wall.
My original plan was to test the concept using cheap kit and if it worked look at upgrading to 802.11ac kit to get the transfer speeds half-decent. But I've fallen at the first hurdle and I think it's the plusnet router that's the problem.
Anyone have some experience in these matters who can confirm or put me right if I'm doing the little box a disservice?
3 REPLIES 3
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Plusnet 2704n and wifi bridging

the router isn't up to the job, you would need to buy some kit that's designed ot do what you want,
your options are thus pick a manufacturer, choose two bits of kit, one of them needs ot be a vdsl2+ modem /router preferably so-ho rated that provided multi channel and interface grouping, create a bridge mode between the guest ssid's (set them all to have the same password and ssid) rollthem into a single interface on both 2.4 and 5g bands put that group into a network bridge rule and connect the bridge unit from upstairs, I say get them both from the same company because they should use the same standards and similar interface (meaning you only need to learn one thing)
before you buy something go to the forums for that company and ask the company how to do the job and what  bits of kit they recommend, that way you get something compatible and operational from the start,
personally having tried both powerlines and wireless bridges in the past my persona lprefernce would be to use long Ethernet cables and unmanged switches for the connection (I realise this isn't necessarily nice looking) or to move the equipment closer together to eliminate the need for the long wire.....
if you own the property it might be advisable to pull up some flooring and hard wire sockets into the rooms through a switch or port replicator under the stairs (or other suitable hidden space) if its rented accommodation ask the landlord if your allowed and since it will remain when you leave get him tofront the cash for it and you do the work....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
gronda

Thanks. I've decided to drill holes and run a cable. It is our house so I can, it was the aesthetics that I was wrangling with as the cable will be going through the ceiling and I was trying to avoid that. Plus we seem to have chipboard panels as the floor substrate upstairs (with a rather naff wood floor laid on top - we only bought the place in August) so this is probably a temp fix for a few years until we can afford to do things up. So less pretty but a lot cheaper than trying to resolve whatever is interfering with the powerline signal or adding yet more wireless units into the mix.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I'm planning on laying about 20m of cat6 cable - but because the floor is a decent wood floor I'm planning on
nailing (with clips) to the skirting board. So my TV will get a gigabit connection.
Watch out for joists going in the "wrong" direction!

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."