Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusner outer on a BT line

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Plusner outer on a BT line

The interweb has gone down at the small company I work for. My boss spent a painful yesterday talking to someone on the phone about the issue, who said they couldn't see a fault. the BT Business hub wouldn't sync. I had to put the plug in the test socket as BT support didn't ask him to do it and it still wouldn't sync. Engineer won't be in until Tuesday, so no special treatment for business customers. To check it isn't a router issue, am I right in thinking I can plug my PN router in? The router should get a sync, but just won't authenticate. Just want to ensure it is't faulty equipment. Even if it is a faulty router and I can get conection details, the company is still stuffed as all the phones work over voip, then the servers and stuff, which is beyond my capabilities.

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: Plusner outer on a BT line

You can use your router to test, but as you say it won't authenticate.

John
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro

Thanks for confirming my thoughts 👍

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

@Marksfish 

I'm confused. Is yourboss with BT or Plusnet? 

If you are trying to use a Plusner Hub on a BT connection you will need to drop the DSL line, easily done by taking out thr DSL plug, changing thr usernsme and password to the BT ones then connect the DSL line.

If you are trying to use your personal hub on your bosses Plusnet account you will also have to do this.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro

No confusion. Company has a non working BT connection, the only spare router is mine which is PN. I just want to see if it will sync which will then rule out equipment problems, not really worried about throughput. Can't drop the DSL connection, there currently isn't one 😉

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

@Marksfish 

Sorry I did not read your original post correctly. Assuming that this is a standard VDSL line can you plug in a standard phone and see if you get a dial tone or is the POTS side disconnected?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro

No idea, the phone side is above my pay grade 😀Seriously though, I am just interested in ruling out equipment failure, which I can do by just plugging the router in.