Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusTalk problems?

glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

PlusTalk problems?

Anyone from CS care to explain what the problem is with incoming phone calls on PlusTalk and why it was working but now needs drastic alterations?
13 REPLIES 13
fotobits
Rising Star

Re: PlusTalk problems?

Broadband 'phone to landline calls have been out of commission for me for several days.
I wish this would get sorted.
Do Homephone users suffer the same way?
Regards
glloyd
Rising Star

Looks like we are not going to get an explanation and are just going to have to suffer from something else not working properly.
chillypenguin
Grafter

Have you raised tickets?
Chilly
fotobits
Rising Star

No I haven't raised a ticket, chillypenguin and you're right in thinking "well how do you expect CS to put the matter right?"
The fact is for over 12-months I raised a ticket every time the Broadband 'phone connection failed and that was most weeks.
I eventually realised that raising a ticket contributed nothing to putting the matter right, nor even to encourage the setting up of a monitoring system to identify connection problems as they occured.
I would like the 'phone service to be reliable and will add my voice to others who think likewise.  But raise a ticket?  Been there, done that....many, many times!
Regards
itsme
Grafter

Ditto
glloyd
Rising Star

There was a service statement last week saying there is a problem with incoming calls and that there was no ETA for a fix as it will need a major upgrade or something.
I was looking for an explanation of why it was working but now needs a major upgrade to restore the service.
Quote from: chillypenguin
Have you raised tickets?
Chilly
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

I don't know.  I'll try and find out when I'm in on Monday. 
In the meantime, make sure you have a ticket open describing the issues as then a problem case will be opened.  (It probably already is, but there will be duplicate checking)
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
fotobits
Rising Star

Goodo, working again today.
Thanks Kelly.
Regards
glloyd
Rising Star

What happened to the explanation?
Quote from: Kelly
I don't know.  I'll try and find out when I'm in on Monday. 
In the meantime, make sure you have a ticket open describing the issues as then a problem case will be opened.  (It probably already is, but there will be duplicate checking)
puddy
Grafter

I tried to make a call today and it said I had no credit left, which is not correct.
Thinking of going back to sipgate

puddy
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi puddy,
I've replied to your post in the other thread.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

I was looking for an explanation of why it was working but now needs a major upgrade to restore the service.

Hi there,
You'll find some detail regarding the open problem here.
The investigations we have conducted suggest that the root cause of this problem is the inherent delays introduced by us running a radius server on each sip server. This generates SQL queries that take a *very* long time to execute.
The reason things are set up like this is to translate the plustalk@username.visp username into a customers SIP ID (Allowing you to use either method to register the service). This needs to run on all 4 SIP servers. The delays are introduced because each of the 4 servers needs to authenticate the user rather than simply being able to accept that another sip server has authenticated (ie. there are 4 database queries as opposed to one).
This database queries tie up resource that is used for other things like keep-alive queries, call termination queries and call acceptance queries.
At this time we believe that the problem is occurring simply because we have reached the limit of how many subscribers the system can cope with.
Almost all of the problems we have witnessed over recent months have been due to the same thing. It has now come to the point where we feel we need a longer term fix as opposed to continuing to apply 'bandages' and workarounds when these issues arise.
This work is scheduled to begin this week and will stabilise the current implementation of the platform. We are also discussing longer term alternatives - I'll announce further details about this nearer the time as it's still dependent on a number of criteria being met.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

glloyd
Rising Star

Thanks for the update Bob. Surely it would not be any hardship for users to register using their  SIP ID  to make the system work without major work.