cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusTalk (VoIP) and Linksys WIP300 IP Phone

Pallen01

PlusTalk (VoIP) and Linksys WIP300 IP Phone

Please help,
Has anyone successfully managed to get the Linksys WIP 300 Wireless-G IP phone to work with the PlusTalk VoIP service?.  I can usually register ok so I know the setup and connection should be fine (and calls are ok via X-lite) but when I call a number using the WIP300 I might manage to get one call to work if I'm really lucky but mostly all attempts go to a fast busy tone and either 'Invalid' or 'Unknown' message displayed on the phone. I'm using a Netgear DG834PN router and set up Port Forwarding and static I.P. address as instructed but I can't even 'ping' the phone or access the config page via my browser.  However, browser access and 'ping' is fine if I use an old D-Link 604+ router.  Any ideas what I'm doing wrong or suggestions what might cause this behaviour??, PlusNet won't help me 'cause the service is fine and calling Linksys is a waste of time !!.
Many thanks
17 REPLIES 17
astarsolutions
Grafter

Re: PlusTalk (VoIP) and Linksys WIP300 IP Phone

I'm using a Netgear DG834PN router and set up Port Forwarding and static I.P. address

Why?
I am fairly sure this isn't necessary.
I can't even 'ping' the phone or access the config page via my browser

This is a local networking problem and something you need to fix before you try and use the phone features.
Providing the router is setup as a DHCP server and the phone is setup with a dynamic IP address it should get assigned an IP and you should be able to connected from a browser.
Pallen01

Hi, Arthur thanks for your reply. 
The reason I have set up Port Forwarding is that I understand this is required if you are behind a NAT firewall which I am and therefore using a STUN server, the phone manual also recommends forwarding four port ranges:- 5060-5061 (UDP), 53-53 (UDP), 69-69 (UDP and 10000-20000 (UPD) which is supposed to resolve issues of fast busy tone which I'm getting but obviously this is not helping in my case, and to implement port forwarding I have to assign a static I.P. address to the phone.
I've also seen Port Forwarding mentioned on the PlusNet site somewhere as a configuration requirement but I will trying backing everything out and return to basics if you think this would help.
Paul
astarsolutions
Grafter

I don't use Plusnet's VoIP service but I use a very similar one and i can connect to that from very restrictive networks with no NAT changes or a STUN server.
Personally I would reset everything and connect the phone to the router as normal, then confirm the router can access the Internet using the built in browser.
You can then enter the plus talk server details and STUN server details.
If it then doesn't work you can log into the router and configure the phone to receive the same IP address each time and forward port 5060(UDP) and 10000-20000(UDP)
Pallen01

Not matter what I try the phone never works properly.
I have to use a STUN address otherwise the phone will not register with Plustalk.  Whether I use port forwarding or not seems to make no difference, I've also tried with and without encryption but again makes no difference it's so hit and miss, if I do ever manage to make a successful call then subsequent calls go to busy and 'invalid' is displayed.  I've noticed that the phone I.P. addrs momentarily appears in the router's 'attached devices' list and at that point I can usually access the setup page via the browser but again this is hit and miss affair and never consistent.  I would say the phone was faulty but this is my second one, having replaced the original for the same reasons as above. I guess this is never going to work !!.
astarsolutions
Grafter

The phone I have is very intermittent across different connections.
One wireless connection will only briefly work when I reset the phone, 2 connections don't work at all, although I have it working with reasonable success on 3 others.
Have you tried updating the firmware; mine came with the default v1 which I upgraded to v3 or v1.3 (It had a 3 somewhere).
Pallen01

Yes, already tried that, I've updated the firmware to the latest version which is 1.00.09 and latest bootcode 1.00.06, I've also updated the Netgear router software but all to no avail !!.
Paul
astarsolutions
Grafter

I think the latest version is v1.02.12S which is what I am running
(I guess I was wrong about it having a 3 in it)
Pallen01

Are you sure we are talking about the Linksys WIP300 IP phone because their web site says the latest firmware is 1.00.09, I've never seen any mention of 1.02.12S, if this is right then do you have a link to where I can download it ?.
Thanks
Paul
astarsolutions
Grafter

Checkout this site for the most up to date information.
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/WIP330
It takes a bit if fiddling to get it all to load properly.
Pallen01

This is not the same phone, it's the WIP330 not WIP300 which why the firmware versions are different.
I've seen page which relates to the WIP300 but nothing there helps my situation.
Paul
astarsolutions
Grafter

Sorry about that, I didn't make the connection between the different phones.
Have you ever got the phone work, perhaps on another service?
puddy
Grafter

Are these phones/voip locked to a network?  If its locked to skype it won't work on plustalk!!!
Puddy
astarsolutions
Grafter

I don't think they are, mine at least is a proper unbranded (apart from the manufacturer) VoIP device.
Pallen01

The WIP 300 is not locked to Skype, in fact it's not even Skype compatible the phone uses SIP protocol which Skype doesn't.
In addition I can register ok with PlusTalk service and very occasionally actually make a call but more often or not all I get is fast busy tone and 'Unknown' displayed. 
I mentioned earlier that I have trouble even accessing the config page via my web browser, however I deleted all my setup data and restored everything to default and I find I can now access it fine, why should entering my SIP config data prevent web access ??.
paul