Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet incentives for migration from Be/Sky

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

PlusNet incentives for migration from Be/Sky

So today Sky completed the purchaser of Be..............  Lips_are_sealed
As of today the company name is changing from Be Un Limited to Sky Home Communications Limited.
There are interesting discussions online among "some" existing Be/Sky customers about when & where to move.
A major factor appears to be availability of fibre connections.  Wink
The ball is in your court PlusNet.  Cool
5 REPLIES 5
picbits
Rising Star

Re: PlusNet incentives for migration from Be/Sky

I think the incentive should be as it is at the moment: the ability to offer a static IP, FTTC,  excellent forum based support and being able to talk to someone in techincal support on the phone who knows what they are talking about.
Not sure what offers are on at the moment - i.e. half price for 6 months which was an incentive for me to jump the BE ship just before the Sky thing kicked off.
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

They're not Sky!
Seems like the biggest incentive to me...
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Missing the point there I think.  Wink Lots of ISP's are not Sky if that's an issue for you.
Equally lots of ISP's are not actually part of BT either, so PN have a potential challenge to overcome.  Lips_are_sealed
It seems that a large proportion of Be customers went there FOR something ( a niche service that suited them) rather than to avoid something (except maybe cheap-as-chips lowest-common-denominator consumer service). That's the sort of thing that GOOD marketing of good, suitable products can work on.  Smiley
Picbits is probably close to the mark there.  Lips_are_sealed
Capvermell
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

After it became obvious that the Telefonica group were simply not interested in their UK fixed line broadband operation at the start of this year (when they continued to say we have no immediate plans to offer fibre even though a huge number of BT customers now had access to such a service in terms of their local exchanges and cabinets being enabled) I looked around for alternatives on behalf of my relative (who had been with Be Unlimited for six years) and came up with Plusnet as the best option.
This was both due to the top customer service rating from Which and because at the time they were running  their every month offer that if you also move the phone line over to Plusnet then the Fibre Unlimited connection was half price for the first six months and there was also a Cashback offer advertised at £39 that actually tracked at £70 with www.topcashback.co.uk (Plusnet originally tried offering different cashback amounts in different months of the customer joining but this soon became too complicated for them to administers so they had to give everyone the higher amount).  In addition there was also free migration or connection offer.
So in terms of the offer (although I would advise them to make the £10 for the first six months thing if you also switch your phone line permanent and not an on/off offer) I thought Plusnet was a reasonable one but I now realise that I made a huge mistake because Plusnet has no offer of a free YouView box and apparently no intention of ever coming up with one and also there is no way to access the growing range of BT Visions services in spite of Plusnet being a wholly owned subsidiary of the BT group.
Given that Plusnet needs to try and capture customers who have accidentally fallen in to the hands of Sky,  who will no doubt be being given incentives to also take their HD PVR and associated tv, packages, in my opinion Plusnet needs to come out with a package that offers both YouView and a Plusnet flavour of BT Vision if they want to capture any significant number of these customers.  Having said all that there were only ever about 30,000 Be Unlimited customers (before Telefonica in effect decided to no longer market the service to new customers several years ago when they bough the company and all new marketing was under the O2 brand) whereas there must be several hundred thousand O2 Telefonica UK fixed line broadband customers so the more important question is what is Plusnet doing to try to capture the O2 fixed line broadband customers from a marketing point of view.  In that context no having either a YouView box or any access to BT Vision is not a smart move at all on Plusnet's part.
picbits
Rising Star

I signed up with Plusnet after finding out there was no Youview option or similar. I looked at what was offered by TalkTalk and BT and decided that between my laptop and DVR, I had no need for Youview.
Nowhere was I misled that it was potentially going to be offered - like BE with their phone and internet, Youview just wasn't offered.
I signed up with Plusnet as I was impressed with the service offered on the forums, the decent prices (which are not subsidising Youview boxes or similar) and a competitive price on the phone line.