Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet and .pps

petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: PlusNet and .pps

My regular correspondent who sends me .pps slide show files, has just sent another using his other non-Googlemail address, and it opened just fine in Thunderbird.
So it would seem as axisofevil has suggested, that the issue lies with Googlemail and .pps files. my correspondent who is aware of my problem is not going to use Gmail for these files in future, which rather unsatisfactorily solves my problem, as the issue is not dealt with, only the outcome.
Thanks all for you're interest.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
petlew
Pro

Sorry to drag this one up again. But just noticed that the last mail by PlusNet Customer Services -the one about £30 off etc.- has failed to get to my email programme. and appears in webmail instead..uhmmm!!

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
petlew
Pro

Well, now I'm slightly flumoxxed! It seems none of the mail sent to me using Gmail is getting through to my Thunderbird.
Oddly, neither are the routine mails sent by Plusnet. All end up in PN webmail, some with attachments can be opened there, some can't (the attachments that is) those Gmails with embedded photo's open without the pictures, a list is provided, but they have to be opened individually in something like WMV or photo handling software.
I've searched through Tbirds options (as I assume now this is where the problem lies) but I can't see where I'm going wrong
Also oddly, searching back, I've been getting Gmails from my one source for sometime now (in Tbird) it's only since I started using Vista on a new PC (and I don't really think that's relevant) but that doesn't account for why this other PC (with Tbird and Xp) doesn't get them either. but does serve as a time scale, as it's only fairly recently this problem has occurred.
Again, I don't suppose it's relevant, but I can receive all mail on my mobile phone, as this only accesses the PN server I guess, as long as I don't actually open the mails on the mobile I will receive them normally (except Gmails) on which ever PC I choose to use. It's sometimes a handy very quick way of checking to see if there is any mail without going through a PC start up.
Any ideas?

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: petlew
Well, now I'm slightly flumoxxed! It seems none of the mail sent to me using Gmail is getting through to my Thunderbird.
Any ideas?

A bit basic - but have you checked that your gmail profile is set up to deliver email properly - is that deliver via POP3?
I'd recommend that you signup for a second gmail account and use it as a testbed.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

petlew
Pro

Thanks for your trouble Jeremy but, my problem is not with my using Gmail, I don't have a Gmail account so therefore no profile. But with one particular correspondent who does (the only correspondent of mine who does have a Gmail account) it's his mail that doesn't get through to Tbird.

petlew
Pro

Further to my last; I've deleted Windows mail and, OE7 (or is it 6, can't remember) from my PC's (1 Vista, 1 Xp) so I can't try that out, to see if it works Ok with them!!

petlew
Pro

HUMBLE PIE TIME Embarrassed  Embarrassed
Talk about missing the obvious;
Some months ago (pre Vistas) I was getting large amounts of spam and junk mail on one of my 2 email accounts. So I made a decision to stop using that particular account, c.c'd round all my correspondents asking them to stop using xxx account, deleting from their address books etc.
Guess what?Huh
This particular guy didn't do it, or accidentally didn't adjust his address book and resumed using the wrong address...and I've only just noticed Embarrassed  Embarrassed
I'm off to clean my .38 before shooting myself in abject shame.
My thanks to all those who chose to add their thoughts to this.