Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet and .pps

petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

PlusNet and .pps

My apologies if this is in the wrong forum; I've noticed recently that mail attachments with MS PowerPoint (.pps) files are not getting through to my email programme of choice (Thunderbird) I can open them, but only using the Plusnet webmail option. Is this perhaps an error in my setup of Thunderbird?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
21 REPLIES 21
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: PlusNet and .pps

Surely you mean .ppt ?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

MikeWhitehead
Grafter

.pps is a valid extension, used for Powerpoint Slideshows.
What do you mean they are not getting through to Thunderbird?
pberry
Grafter

I've just tested this for myself in both Webmail and Thunderbird and there is no issue. You should just be able to double-click the attachment icon and the correct helper application (eg MS Office, OpenOffice, etc) should be offered up to open the file. If this is not happening it suggests you may not have the correct file association set up in your operating system.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

If you have a local A/V scanner on your PC, check it is not causing the problem. Some A/V scanners rename or block attachments with certain extensions.
petlew
Pro

No, I really did mean .pps, and we are talking about PowerPoint slide shows.
Peter, I do use Norton, but it doesn't seem to have any bearing on this. No renaming is going on or, blocking by Norton.
I will admit that some of the .pps attachments can at times be a bit risque, but certainly not all of them, and nothing I wouldn't show my wife (i don't, but she wouldn't object) I have asked the senders of some to modify the subject titles just in case +Net is seeing them a spam, but they appear in the inbox of webmail not the spam folder.
I did wonder if it was to do with file size as some .pps can be pretty big before there is any content added, but I can get .wmv files in Thunderbird without any problem, and I guess these are (without checking) bigger than .pps files.
No this only seems to affect slide show .pps attachments, other formats; Word, Excel etc. even on one occasion Publisher all come through without problems.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Can you try disabling norton temporarily then get a .pps file sent to you just to make sure it is not the cause. This does sound like a local issue on your PC if you can access the files via webmail.
What Norton S/W are you using (including versions)?
petlew
Pro

Peter, it's Norton Internet Security 2007. version in full: 10.4.0.13 and fully up to date.
Cheer's

samuria
Grafter

If you use the webmail then local Av shouldnt effect it until you try and open it so you should see it ok on the server
petlew
Pro

I didn't try disabling Norton, call me over careful if you wish, but I'm not keen on running anything on my PC without AV for any length of time however short. So I'm taking Samuria's comment at face value. But thanks anyway.
Any further ideas on this are most welcome.

Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

If you have a router then turning off NIS for a short period is safe to do as your only problem would be a virus already on your PC trying to dial out. The router already blocks the majority of connections coming in.
You can also mitigate any possible problem by only opening the test email.
NIS and other security products have been known to cause issues with attachments and connections so you should try to eliminate that as the cause. If it is the cause then not turning it off will just mean you are searching for a solution elsewhere that does not exist.
petlew
Pro

Peter,
Ok I take your point, I'll get it organised and let you know the outcome.

petlew
Pro

I still haven't managed to get a .pps file sent to me yet. Would the test work if I sent it to myself (from my other computer, setting that mail so that it needs a manual check on the server so that I don't get it delivered to the wrong computer...if you see what I mean!!)?
However, I've been checking further into this at my end, and it seems that most of the failures have been sent from one sender who uses Google webmail (if that should be significant) they appear in the inbox of my +net webmail with the ammendment to the subject line (scanned)  I've tried pressing the "not spam" button, but all I get after a short delay is an "error" headed to the mail window.

pberry
Grafter

This might be asking for more trouble, but could you get you friend to zip or rar it before sending. Might get under the radar that way.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Just seen the gmail reference:-
1) gmail block attachments which are "binary" - changing the extension to .ppsx will fool it, though.
2) gmail block attachments greater than 10MB
So you might want to zip it and change the extension if it's quite big.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."