cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet Portal - Connection Settings wrong?

Anonymous
Not applicable

PlusNet Portal - Connection Settings wrong?

While I was double checking everything prior to the BTO engineer's visit I noticed that the Member Centre has my IP as Server Assigned on both accounts, but I have static IPs. The table is entitled "Connection settings for manual connection" so I'm of the opinion this is broken and it should clearly have my IP address(ess) in there.
5 REPLIES 5
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: PlusNet Portal - Connection Settings wrong?

your ip is server assigned, it's just that you get the same one each time
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Anonymous
Not applicable

I understand what you are saying but in my head server assigned implies DHCP, I would have thought that it would either say "Static" or www.xxx.yyy.zzz at least.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

The page gives instructions on how to set your router up and the router should be configured for DHCP regardless of whether you have paid for a Static IP or not.  The 'Static IP' page shows whether your address is static or dynamic.
It's important that your actual address is not manually entered into your router as Plusnet may (for engineering reasons) need to change gateway IP address etc and even change your static address occasionally.
At no point will an address be specified as 'www.xxx.yyy.zzz' as this isn't an address!
Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't know about the setting the router as DHCP even for static IPs, but from what you say makes perfect sense so I'll change my existing configs to this.
Grin I know 'www.xxx.yyy.zzz' isn't an address, credit me with a bit more sense than that. It was used as a place holder, as if I'd entered numbers some might have thought it was one of mine.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Apologies for the comment about your placeholder address. As the first octet was www I read it as a Url of www.<ip.address>;  Embarrassed
Engage brain before typing  Wink