cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plus net one as just a modem?

FIXED
MH1

Re: Plus net one as just a modem?

I got Google Wifi yesterday.... just spent 2 hours on the phone with them tonight as port forwarding and DHCP reservations would not work.

I have a netgear DGN2200 modem/router that I turned into modem only (bridge) mode. However, according to Google support because Plusnet use VLAN tagging and Google Wifi doesn't support this, I'm unable to use the old router/modem as a modem only device. Google Wifi will only work if the netgear is set to router + modem and Google Wifi is set to DHCP. But then this causes issues with double NAT and so port forwarding won't work.

Anyone know a way around this? I'm still using ADSL if it makes a difference...

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Google are talking rubbish!

1) VLAN tagging does not apply to ADSL 

2) when using a separate  modem & router on FTTC , VLAN tagging is done by the modem. The router makes a standard PPPoE connection.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

What is VLAN tagging?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

Can you reconfigure the Netgear as a modem/router, turn off wireless on the Netgear router then set the primary Google unit up as a Wireless Access Point by switching off the Google DCHP and setting an IP address within the Netgear range, connecting between the two using the LAN sockets?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MH1

It looks like Google were indeed talking rubbish!

I factory reset it all today and have got it working. Just in case anyone else has the same problem, this is what I did:

1) Set the netgear to modem only (bridge) mode

2) Plugged Google Wifi into an ethernet port on the netgear

3) Connected to Google Wifi via the app and set it up as PPPoE, using my Plusnet account name and password

4) That's it!

My problem seems to have stemmed out of trying to change the LAN IP range on Google Wifi. This seems to cause the app to hang and causes other parts of the app (like DHCP reservations and WiFi settings) to hang later on when trying to access them. Not sure why, as it doesn't even change the LAN IP range (it just hangs and you need to force close the app and the settings don't take effect) but a factory reset seems to be the only way to fix it then. Have done it three times now... must be a bug with Google!

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

What is VLAN tagging?

https://networkengineering.stackexchange.com/questions/6483/why-and-how-are-ethernet-vlans-tagged

On an FTTC connection you need to set a VLAN ID of 101

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.