Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plus net one as just a modem?

FIXED
gc2020
Dabbler

Plus net one as just a modem?

Hi,

I got a Pusnet Hub One - CS 5001. I'm planning to use it as just modem, while switching off the wifi function. The reason is that i'm planning to link it to my google wifi pubs.

Would it be possible? How to do it?
20 REPLIES 20
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Plus net one as just a modem?

It's not possible to configure the Hub One as just a modem. However your Google wifi should still work with the Hub one in it's normal configuration, with wifi disabled. If you connect the main google units WAN port to one of the LAN ports on the Hub one it SHOULD work. From what I can see the google system will default to DHCP on it's WAN port and get an IP address from the Hub one.

You WILL have a situation where both the Hub one and Google are doing  NAT translation, commonly known as double-nat, but that shouldn't cause any problems unless you need to do any port forwarding or use voip.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

gc2020
Dabbler

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.
1) How do you switch off the wifi?

Gosh! I need to use port forwarding for my foscam. Any alternatives you would suggest enabling me to do this?
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

I have no idea what a google wifi pub is but if all you want is a modem have you considered buying a Huawei HG612 model 3B for very little money off Ebay? These work very well and can easily also be unlocked, enabling you to monitor WAN performance.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

gc2020
Dabbler

Is a WIFI router that uses the mesh network topology.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

OK I'm confused. Google calls it a router but it looks more like a Wireless Access Point to me. Therefore the HG612 solution would not be as easy a solution as I thought.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Is the Google effort just a local network - i.e. a LAN?

If it connects to the internet, you will need a WAN connection - which implies a real router.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

The google wifi system is a proper router , it can do PPPoE/DHCP/StaticIP on it's WAN connection https://support.google.com/wifi/answer/6246630?hl=en-GB&ref_topic=6246470

I'd  go with @Baldrick1 's suggestion and get a HG612 from ebay or if you want to buy new then the TPLink W9970 is easily configured as a modem only https://pricespy.co.uk/computers-accessories/networking/xdsl-products/tp-link-td-w9970--p3187864

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

gc2020
Dabbler

Thanks for the suggestion.

Would it be possible for me to port forward using the suggested option?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Yes, the Google wifi does support portforwarding https://support.google.com/wifi/answer/6274503?hl=en-GB&ref_topic=6246470 and in the suggested option, the google hub would be configured for PPPoE and thus have the public WAN IP.

gc2020
Dabbler

That's great.

What settings should I set on the modem (HG612 or TPLink W9970) and the Google WIFI device to make this work?

Sorry, for the questions Roll_eyes

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

The HG612 shouldn't need any settings changed, it will almost certainly be setup as an FTTC modem. The W9970, you will need to select Plusnet_VDSL as the ISP setting, set it to Bridge mode, and disable wifi.

The google WIFI you will need to set the WAN settings to PPPoE and enter your PlusNet username and password ( see my earlier link )

gc2020
Dabbler

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Fix

Yep, that will be fine

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

When Plusnet installed my fibre connection in about 2010 they gave me a similar device + a netgear router.

Both are still going strong. Grin

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."