Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plus Net dns servers.

seanbranagh
Grafter

Plus Net dns servers.

I am a bit confused about something.
I migrated all of my websites from one server to another. On Friday evening I made the namaserver ip change to start directing all the domains to the new server.
All of the sites/domains use the same 2 nameservers ns1.mynameserver.com etc.
I don't use Plus Nets dns servers, I use my own but when I test by using Plus Nets dns I find that 2 of the sites are still being served from the old server. How can it only be 2?
Surely if Plus Nets dns servers have updated with the new ip's for my nameservers then it should direct all domains with those nameservers to the new server?
Can I asume that all ISP's will be the same and how long do I have to wait before I can take the old server down?
Can I asume that some user mail is still ending up on the old server? That is why I made the change on Friday, hoping that it would be complete by Monday morning.
9 REPLIES 9
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Plus Net dns servers.

48 hours is the normal period suggested for DNS changes to fully propagate.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Gotta be honest I've also known of a couple of my old domains to take OVER 48 hours sean. I'd say always plan on a full 72 hours myself. I know its annoying and it doesn't seem logical that all the others update in time but we all know these glitches happen here and there.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
seanbranagh
Grafter

I am just worried about getting phonecalls in the morning complaining that emails have went awol. I can instruct the users to temporarily put the ip of the old server in their mail client to receive any emails that went there but lets face it, these people are not exactly technical and I have no patience for telephone support!
7up
Community Veteran

I see what you mean but at the same time (don't take this the wrong way) you have switched servers and if the customers want you on the phone... you've got to have the patience! I presume you're hosting as a business? - Customers are the most important people especially in the overly saturated web hosting industry.
Unfortunately it is one of the pitfalls of hosting from a home connection. I've heard of a lot of people doing this and none of them tend to work out so well. I think we all know you well enough to know that if anyone can make it work YOU of all people can but unfortunately you will have to go that extra mile to keep your users happy.
seanbranagh
Grafter

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I am not hosting other users sites from my own connection. The sites would be useless on an ADSL connection. I only have one personal site on my home server. The others are (now) on a VPS provided by Eukhost after I migrated them from my old reseller account with them.
7up
Community Veteran

Hi Sean
Apologies! After reading loads of your recent posts lately where you were speaking of running your own dns etc I've got confused!
Didn't realise you've moved from one provider to another so my apologies Wink
seanbranagh
Grafter

If only someone would run fibre to my doorstep beleive me I would be hosting all my own sites. Unfortunately the nearest cable/fibre area is Belfast at 25 miles away!
James
Grafter

You could move to Wales or north London?
Smiley
seanbranagh
Grafter

Quite happy here on my little island, in time they will bring the fibre to me.