Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plus Net Hub One / Seagate Central NAS / Denon Network receiver headache

mozza76
Hooked

Plus Net Hub One / Seagate Central NAS / Denon Network receiver headache

Hi there,

Just upgraded my router to a PlusNet Hub One from the old Thompson model and suddenly my Denon network music player won't connect to my Seagate Central NAS (with my music on) over wireless.

My set up is Plusnet router connected to the Seagate NAS by ethernet cable. Denon router in living room (easily in wireless range) connected wirelessly to the Plusnet router.

If I connect the Denon directly to the Plusnet router with an ethernet cable, it sees the Twonky DLNA server on the Seagate instantly and works as expected. As soon as I try and do the same wirelessly, it connects fine to my wireless netwrok, but doesn't see the DLNA server on the Seagate NAS.

I swapped out the Hub One with a friend's Billion Wireless N router (not connected to broadband - just as a home wireless network) and everything's great again. The Denon sees the Seagate drive fine over the wireless. Swap the Plusnet Hub One back and it's gone again.

What's frustrating is that my Samsung TV sees the DLNA server over the wireless fine, as does my iPhone, as do three other computers in the house. There's something that either the Denon or the Seagate drive (or both?) aren't doing with the Plusnet router that they should be!

Bizarrely, I can get the Denon/Plusnet Hub One/Seagate system to play nicely over wireless if I leave the receiver on, then connect to the Seagate via my iPhone's Denon DLNA remote control app - suddenly as soon as the iPhone authenticates over wireless, the Denon receiver shows the NAS folders on its screen. Likewise, if I start an instance of Twonky server on my Mac (which is connected by ethernet to the Plusnet), then both this empty server and the Seagate Twonky server suddenly appear on the Denon. It's as if there needs to be another instance of an NAS running for the Denon/Seagate connection to kick in over wireless.

I realise that this is a very specific issue with quite a few variables, but I've been troubleshooting for days and can't quite work out the best way to get them working. Is there anything obvious I might have missed?

Thanks in advance

2 REPLIES 2
cor123

Re: Plus Net Hub One / Seagate Central NAS / Denon Network receiver headache

Hi

I realise that this is a year on but I have only just got the hub one. I have a similar problem with my Roku 3 and Seagate central (Dlna). I have uPnP switched on, on the router, however the Roku could not see the Seagate Dlna server. There was also problems with network discovery from PCs on the network. All the devices on the network can see the internet but not each other. Setting the router firewall (as opposed to the PlusNet firewall ) to off (not recommended) allows network discovery. However it takes the Roku a good 20+ seconds to discover the Seagate Dlna server when the Roku Media Player is launched. This worked flawlessly on my TP-Link W8979 that I was using for ADSL to PlusNet, so I'm thinking that the Hub One is not all it could be and am thinking of replacing it with a VP2600. Comments?

mozza76
Hooked

Re: Plus Net Hub One / Seagate Central NAS / Denon Network receiver headache

Hi there,

I realised that I was spending a disproportionate amount of time trying to work out what was wrong, changing individual settings in the Hub One and the Seagate NAS in an attempt to single out what might have been causing the conflict.

I got so bored by not finding a solution that I ended up backing up the gigs of data on the Seagate drive to an external drive (so slow!), then building a Plex server out of an old PC I had lying around, ripping the drive from the Seagate and reformatting it for Plex and then loading it back up with the music and films from the back up. Since then, no more issues. Plex is a load more stable and faster than the Seagate ever was.

I know that's not providing an answer to your issue (sorry!) but I'd got sick of troubleshooting the Seagate and since firmware upgrades for the Denon are rarer than hen's teeth, my options for ever getting the system working with that configuration were seeming more and more unlikely. Swapping out the NAS seemed the only option I had on the table and, luckily Plex seems to have solved all the wake up issues I was having.

As a coda to this, I did have to get a replacement Hub One a few months back as it was randomly restarting. I don't think this was connected to my Denon/Seagate woes (the Plex server is clearly a lot faster and more stable than the Seagate NAS ever was) but goes to show that hardware faults can make troubleshooting even more tricky.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter