cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help!! Graphic card Question

lowlatency
Grafter

Please help!! Graphic card Question

Hi Im looking for a better graphics card as the one im using is a nvidia 9200 which is built in and is only 3.8 rated in the windows index score (which is the lowest of my scores)
so 1 questions will this graphics card:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AMD-ATI-Radeon-2GB-DDR3-PCI-Express-Video-Graphics-Card-HMDI-windows-7-vis...
be compatible with my PC Packard Bell imedia s3210 ? (see pics)
7 REPLIES 7
kmilburn
Grafter

Re: Please help!! Graphic card Question

It's tricky to find information on the motherboard you've got,  if you could post a picture of it, it may help.
But, If the pictures I've seen are anything to go by, you may not be able to upgrade the graphics.
If you have the motherboard manual,  that will show what sockets are on the motherboard and determine the options available.
The other consideration is your power supply, what wattage is it?
CX
Grafter

It appears that the motherboard in the S3210 does have a PCI Express 16x slot, suitable for a graphics card. You're going to have to be careful with your choice of card though, since the slot is at the bottom of the board (and the case)
http://www.boardtekuk.co.uk/packard-bell-dao61o87l-imedia-s3210-motherboard-624-p.asp
You will have to choose a graphics card which uses a single slot, not dual slots. Something like this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/XFX-Graphics-Single-Profile-Outputs/dp/B0085Z47VK/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=135...
The Radeon 7750 doesn't require auxiliary power as far as I know, so power consumption should be fairly low. It's not a super-fast card, but still a huge step up from the GeForce 9200. It's a good match with your CPU performance.
Another option is to fit an after-marked wrap-around heatsink, such as the Zalman VNF1000. But you then lose the PCIe 1x slot above it.
The Radeon 5450 is slow, if you're wanting to play recent games on it.
lowlatency
Grafter

Thx guys for your replys!
After doing a lot of research unfortunately I cant just buy any old graphics card  Crazy Lol
Yes CX you are right I opened up my case and it is the bottom slot which seems really tight with space.
I also checked my PSU and it only outputs 250w so I would have had to bought a new 1 for the card to be compatible with my system.
is that 1 you suggested ok with a 250w power supply as My tower is quite small (midi I think its called) and the PSU is not your average size 1 also the connectors are different to the ones I have previously seen.
CX
Grafter

I wouldn't want to exceed 200W due to PSU ageing.
The Radeon 7750 supposedly peaks at 43W:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/HD_7750/24.html
Allow 65W for the CPU, plus another 30W for motherboard/memory/fans, 25W for hard disk spinup and you're still under 200W.
You should be fine. Any graphics card which doesn't require auxiliary power should be okay.
Razer
Grafter

Quote from: CX
The Radeon 5450 is slow, if you're wanting to play recent games on it.

I have that card and it doesn't perform well. I really have to lower my graphics settings and I still get severe slowdowns at certain points in game.
lowlatency
Grafter

Ok so basically I have to upgrade my PSU to get any half decent graphics card.
So next question where the hell do I get a PSU that will fit in my tower!
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

TBH to get a better PC for playing games , looks like you wil have to buy a new complete set up, it sort of depends on what game you want to play & the minimum requirements of that game .
depends on your PC skills if you decide to buy a prebuilt or a cheaper option is just to buy the parts and self build , by the sound of it the only option is unfortunately its going to cost some cash for your self .
its surprising when you decide to go on the upgrade route New GFX card but you need a better Motherboard , then the rest of your existing parts arnt compatible so you end up buying a totaly new set up , so best to start afresh sorry  Embarrassed
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .