cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Playing music Ubuntu Live CD

Mav
Fixes: 514

Playing music Ubuntu Live CD

While using the Live CD to move lots of files I thought I'd listen to some of my music.
Being new to this Live CD thing  searched around and found RhythmboxMusicPlayer. I dragged a folder containing almost 5500 tracks and it only found 18 (.wav) that it could play. Apparently it couldn't find a suitable plugin to play .mp3 or some other types I have (.aac).
Alos, I quit RhythmBox and doublec-licked an mp3 and the movie app opened but still the same issue.
Now I cannot get Rythmbox to start - nothing happenes when I click on Sound and video > Rythmbox...
Any help appreciated.
Edit: Ubuntu 9.1
Cheers.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

14 REPLIES 14
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Playing music Ubuntu Live CD

I don't think the Ubuntu Live CD has the necessary codecs pre-installed ( due to licensing issues ).
The Linux Mint CD does , I think, you might try that instead. I believe it uses Amarok rather than Rythmbox as the media player.
- Linux Mint has a different selection of packages. First universe, multiverse and unofficial repositories are configured to give more choice to the user, then some software is removed and some added (for instance Amarok is preferred to Rhythmbox). Also, a lot of codecs for "dirty" formats (encrypted DVDs, MP3, divX, win32) and plugins (Java, Flash, Realplayer) are added.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mav

Thanks, Steve.
Don't think it's worth downloading Mint for the amount of use I'll get. This is only the second time I've needed Linux. Now listening to the radio Smiley

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Thanks, Steve.

You're welcome, but its Ian!.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mav

Sorry 'bout that - Don't even know where I got the name Steve from  Embarrassed
Age is creeping up... Cheesy Wink

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I know the feeling Grin

Mav

One more quick question...
I have found a CD with some music .wav files to play. Can I take out the Live CD while I copy the files to a HDD or will Ubuntu crash?

artificer
Grafter

if the live cd has the 'copy2ram' feature and you have sufficient ram, you can boot the livecd and then remove it from the optical drive.  the os will run until you power it down.
Mav

Can't see that option so may just stop and start.
Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you loaded a USB memory stick with the Ubuntu image and booted from that instead from CD, you could then add the necessary codecs (once running) and these would be ready to use on subsequent live boot ups.  Cheesy
You should be able to do this with a 4GB stick, but 8GB would allow you to add restricted video drivers, perform updates, etc, and still have space for a decent sized /home directory.
Mav

If I make an image a USB memory stick and add all the necessary codecs could I then burn what's on the USB stick back to CD for it to work?

Anonymous
Not applicable

No, well not in the simple manner that your question implies.
The bootable USB stick is formatted as if it was like any other read and write capable hard drive, which is why you can update it, and save files in your removable /home directory.
A CD (like the Live CD) is a read only device which unpacks its contents into RAM to run, and any changes or updates are lost when you switch the machine off.
There is also a difference in size, the USB memory stick is in the order of a few GB, whereas the CD manages to fit into 700MB,
Theoretically you should be able to create your own mix "Live CD" image with your chosen features enabled, but that is way beyond my experience (so far), but someone else might know (or Google).

? have to go my daughter has just appeared with blood dripping from her mouth !, catch up with you later  Roll_eyes
Mav

I hope you're daughter's OK...
..and thanks for the advice. Think I'll leave thingsas they are. As I said before, I don't use Linux much and for only short bursts.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Panic over,  daughter asleep  Smiley
grimme
Grafter

Some versions of Linux (PCLinuxOS springs to mind) allow you to re-master the live USB/CD after you have added additional software.
One other (I believe Nimblex) in the past had a page where you can select the software you want to add to the base package and then you burn a live cd including the added software.
Linux Mint as has been suggested does have many of the Multimedia files already on the live CD, though it's recent habit since version 9 of leaving off Java means I stick with version 8.
So many choices means there is usually one out there (at least) that will do exactly what you want it to do from the start.