cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Playing iTunes Music Without iTunes

RobDickson
Grafter

Playing iTunes Music Without iTunes

I've got all my CDs stored on a network drive, after having copied them using iTunes a while ago. They're in .m4a format and stored with each CD in a separate directory. With hindsight, I shouldn't have copied them using iTunes, but I didn't know any better at the time. I have three music players installed on my PC. Windows Media Player, RealPlayer, and QuickTime Player.
I must be being stupid, but is there any way of playing a whole CD? Windows Media Player won't play the .m4a format. RealPlayer and QuickTime Player will play individual songs, but won't play all the tracks in a directory. I haven't looked into playlists on RealPlayer, but I don't really want to have to create a playlist for each CD.
I'd rather not install iTunes or yet another music player onto my PC. Surely one of my existing media players should be able to do what I want. I'm not asking anything that complicated!
Am I being stupid and missing something obvious?
6 REPLIES 6
mossgrove
Grafter

Re: Playing iTunes Music Without iTunes

One approach would be to convert the whole lot to .mp3 so they will play in any player.  There is a useful free program called Switch Sound Converter (www.nch.com.au/switch) which should be able to do the job in one batch run. 
pierre_pierre
Grafter

have you tried Winamp? http://www.winamp.com its free and can play complete directories with one click, also mp4 and m4a
RobDickson
Grafter

Thanks for the suggestions. It looks like I'm going to have to install some more software. I think I'll try the WinAmp option, since it doesn't involve messing around with the files.
Pogdin
Dabbler

I had the same trouble a while back when i built a media center PC.
You need to download 2 bits of software.... one so media player can read the m4a file info and a codec so media player can play the file.......
I cant remember where i got the files from, sorry, all i can remember is i found a website explaining how to do it by searching on google.

RobDickson
Grafter

Thanks. I thought that WMP would have used the codecs from RealPlayer or QuickTime Player, but obviously not.
I'll do some searching, but am a bit wary of downloading codecs.
RobDickson
Grafter

K-Lite Codec Pack Pro from Free-Codecs.com sounds like it might do the job.
http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090323062519AAX0frX
I should have done some more searching before asking for people's help.