cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plagued since McFee put into computer by plusnet (unknown to me)

sueprice

Plagued since McFee put into computer by plusnet (unknown to me)

Hi peeps,
I have been getting inundated with security threats and have found Mcfee is on my computer, I know Plusnet gives you free Mcfee but I hate it, I was assuming that Plusnet ask before downloading it. as I would have blocked it, having had it before and not been impressed with it's effectiveness.
I have uninstalled it from my laptop, but now trying to update my Microsoft Security Essentials find that I cannot do so because of security messages.
Not being very tech savvy I am at a loss as to what to do and would appreciate some help, as I am being told by Microsoft security essentials that I am not protected.
Any help would be appreciated.
8 REPLIES 8
TORPC
Grafter

Re: Plagued since McFee put into computer by plusnet (unknown to me)

Hi sueprice
Whilst I appreciate that Mcafee has been installed on your computer without your consent / knowledge
Plusnet will not install Mcafee without your knowledge / consent
There are various other software's that install Mcafee behind your back or if one has inadvertently missed a box to Tick / Untick accordingly (whilst installing bundled software)
If you do not want / need Mcafee then you can use it's Removal tool to get rid of it, (Direct Download from Mcafee)
You may have to Uninstall MSSE as it may of become corrupt Use the MSSE Removal tool
That said & before you do
Make sure you have an alternative security product in place (If you haven't already)
If you want to continue using MSSE then download a fresh copy from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5201 , if you want an alternative to MSSE then I would recommend  either Avast (free) or BitDefender (Free)
See http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,126934.msg1103217.html#msg1103217
also we will need to remove any infections
Download install /  update & run the free versions of (Run full scans where available)
1. Malwarbytes antimalware
2. SuperAntiSpyware
3. Emsisoft Emergency Kit (The Emsisoft Emergency Kit contains a collection of programs that can be used without installation to scan for malware and clean infected computers.)
4. Kaspersky's TDSSKiller (Searches & removes any found RootKits)
5. Hitman Pro (Make sure you choose the correct version for your infected machine, eg. 32bit (also choose run on this computer one time (don't worry you can re-rerun it again Wink )
6. ADWcleaner (post back the results so we can advise what to get rid of)
7. Spybot S&D
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Quote from: TORPC
There are various other software's that install Mcafee behind your back or if one has inadvertently missed a box to Tick / Untick accordingly (whilst installing bundled software)

Adobe Flash Player updates, which I installed this morning are a prime culprit for doing that if you don't un-tick the box.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Agreed, it won't be the PN version you have but a 'light' version - my oh managed to install it with flash too.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
TORPC
Grafter

Hi sueprice
How is it going, have you managed to remove any of the security threats
petecov44
Grafter

How can PN plant it there when you have to download it and then copy and paste the licence key before it will do anything.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

A handy little tool to stop downloads of extra software added to anything  Wink
http://unchecky.com/
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
TORPC
Grafter

Just had to reboot this machine, due to updates
After reboot I was presented with the Flashplayer update is available box
Upon clicking the download button, it took me to the download page in my browser (as normal)
In the right hand side it clearly show the Mcafee install option, which is conveniently ticked in their favour
Make sure you untick it if you do not want it

The option for the Mcafee install would likely not activate the likes of unchecky kicking in to warn you of bundled software
That said I would have to see or complete tests to clarify
Perhaps those like rongtw  who promote & use unchecky, could confirm either way ?Huh
That said if one is as careful as they should be & pay attention to what they install, they should not have to rely on a 3rd software
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Hi sueprice,
Just to confirm what a few of the others have already said:
You'd have to head to the addons part of your members centre, click on McAfee and then click download for Plusnet to install it on your machine. We'd definitely need your consent before we installed anything.
Did you manage to get this removed?
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet