Did you mean: 

Pinguy OS?

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Pinguy OS?

Anyone tried it yet?
get it <a href="http://www.pinguyos.com/">HERE</a>
Looks like an even more newbie distro than Mint (can be).
Not sure if I like all the cr*p interesting stuff going on there.
From the title page:-
Ubuntu is a great OS and undoubtedly the most popular and easiest Linux based Distro to use but even with its default setup and chosen programs it's still  lacking functionality and ease of use for most new users. So what I decided to do was build a Distro that looks good, could do everything most user would ever want to do and that was very simple to use.
28 REPLIES 28
Ellis
Grafter

Re: Pinguy OS?

Quote from: Hairy
Anyone tried it yet?
get it <a href="http://www.pinguyos.com/">HERE</a>
Looks like an even more newbie distro than Mint (can be).
Not sure if I like all the cr*p interesting stuff going on there.

I'm giving it a try with the live DVD. It looks interesting, but to get rid of the black panel on the right side you have to do F11 (Full screen) on your running application. There doesn't seem any other way.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Its a conky appley, so if you access the conky setup it should be disabled in there.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Looks interesting but at the speed I get here it would take me several hours to download so will send for a dvd.
Prices are shown in us dollars but is it possible to purchase a dvd which can be obtained in this country ?Huh
We are born into history and history is born into us.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

PM me
Ellis
Grafter

I am reasonably impressed with it. It is a fairly complete package (1.6GB ISO), you may want to remove some items and it can be done. Any additional items you want can be downloaded with "Synaptic" or "Ubuntu Software Centre". One little niggle I have is with the "Change Desktop Background". If I put a photo as background, it keeps downloading and applying other photo's. I would like to stop that (I have stopped it temporarily by setting it to solid colour, but would prefer to have a photo as background). It seems to have got over the (dis)unity problem.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Ho Hum.... Downloaded the 32bit .iso and burned it to a DVD.... put the DVD in, and shut down the laptop.... got the boot option, and booted from cd drive..... got the opening screen with a face on the right hand side... pressed the Return key, and got boot in 30 secs..... then after 30 secs the cd drawer opened, to eject the dvd....
tried again... same result... so can`t understand what is wrong...
used the ESC key, and got
Boot  -
pressed return and got some kind of message saying it was not the right type or something... shut down and booted up as normal, to write this...
so... did I do the wrong download and burn?
(using Windows Vista Home premium on a Dell Inspiron1500 series).
Ellis
Grafter

I would suggest you try it again, may the download was corrupted in some way.
I see that it includes "Oracle VM VirtualBox". I shall have to give it a try.
shutter
Community Veteran

Ha Ha ! or AHA !.... shut down, and re-booted... this time the CD drive whirred at an alarming speed..... seemed to be wanting to take off.... after about 5 very worrying minutes. got the desktop screen, but although firefox was loaded, could not connect.......
I thought the wireless connection was supposed to work out of the box .... Hmmm.... not for me...
(Or does it only work when it is actually installed on the hard drive... i.e. wireless does not work on the Live DVD ?)
having that "box" on the left is annoying... not sure what it is supposed to be there for...  May get my second laptop from the car and see how it works on that.... using Mint 11 on there at the moment, just for "mobile" internet when touring around... so can install it on that hdd
Waldo
Grafter

Quote from: Hairy
Anyone tried it yet?

I've tried the 11.10 alpha; same GNOME 3.2 as Mint of course, but different choices in shell-extensions - uses cardapio to provide a menu, for example, and rather than a second panel on the bottom of the screen it uses Docky.  I'd need to spend more time with it to find a reason for choosing it over vanilla Ubuntu (or Mint or any other Ubuntu/G3-based distro).
Oh, and wireless worked when booted from a USB stick.
Ellis
Grafter

Hi Shutter,
I'm certain I was using the wifi connection with the live DVD (but may have had the Cat5 cable connected with the Homeplug). Certainly when it was installed it found the wifi with no problem and asked for the password. The more I use Pinguy the more I like it, but as with all other Linux distro's, I can't get my flatbed/film scanner to work (it just doesn't recognise it). It does recognise my old Canoscan and the HP printer/scanner. I am just hoping that I can install the Win driver in Oracle VM VirtualBox. That would save me having to keep an old XP laptop to run the V200 scanner.
shutter
Community Veteran

Thanks for the info on wireless...... I had the same issue with Mint 9, and 11,  no wireless until it was fully installed, and then I had problems because of the b43 fwcutter... (at least this time I know about that in advance, so won`t (? ? ? ) be frustrated by not knowing.
still have the "geeky" bit to do....to remove the box on the right hand side

Posted by: Hairy Biker
Its a conky appley, so if you access the conky setup it should be disabled in there.

so how do I do that ? Please ?

HairyMcbiker
All Star

Quote from: shutter
so how do I do that ? Please ?

I don't know  Lips_are_sealed I have never used it. I saw the demo video and it was disabled via a menu but I can't remember which (check the home page). Conky is a bit obscure  Wink
I tried this in a VM and just got a blank screen and haven't burned a dvd yet, still playing with M12.
Ellis
Grafter

I seem to have disabled mine. Go top left (blue circle, No, not cement), click on that and the menu comes up, "Applications", top right is "Conky". If any options are marked, remove the mark.
shutter
Community Veteran

Blue Circle  (Cement).... might be a hidden (geeky) clue..... Conky ...... (Concrete ? ? ? )
fiendishly clever these geeks !  Cheesy