Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Picture Files Number sequence

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Picture Files Number sequence

Windows Vista, Home Premium.... New Hard Drive recently installed,....
On my old hdd, and previous hdd`s, when I downloaded pics from my camera they were numbered 001 002 003 004 etc.
since puttng in a new HDD, and having the machine "set up" the new driver for the camera, there was an "options" box that I could choose how and where the files were downloaded to.... Unfortunately, I seem to have chosen the wrong numerical sequence for the downloads to be filed as, as they now appear with the camera number P1600001.jpg etc....
How can I re-access the options box to change the settings..... I have tried the usual Control Panel. > scanners and cameras..... but it is not listed, and re-setting the camera, does not change the numbers, and allow the "options" box to appear again, when I re-try to download new pics.
As it seems to be a "windows generic" driver, for the camera, it does not appear on the programs listing, so I cannot "un-install" it...... which seems to be the only way, then re-install the camera under the "new hardware found" actions...when the "options box" would re- appear.

10 REPLIES 10
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Picture Files Number sequence

Sounds like Vista is using PTP ( Picture Transfer Protocol ) to talk to your camera. Is it possible that on previous installations you had a camera supplied driver installed and now you are using the plain vanilla Vista PTP drivers ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

shutter
Community Veteran

No, When I used the old HDD, the camera was "auto detected", but I can`t remember changing any of the settings when I first used the camera on that hdd. This new HDD is a new install of Vista, and as the camera was again "auto detected", there is an "options" box, that I used to make sure it deleted after downloading the pics, there were other settings abbout how the files should be "named" etc, and I think I have changed one, without knowing what it was.... so I need to get back to that "options" box, or "uninstall" the camera from the windows auto detect/download process.... No, I did not use a disc for downloading last time.... !
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Ok, after a bit of poking around on t'web, I think, and I'm guessing a bit here since I don't have Vista, that it MIGHT be in the AutoPlay settings.
See here http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Change-AutoPlay-settings
Hope that helps, if not then try some googling for 'Camera and Scanner Wizard' & Vista.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

shutter
Community Veteran

I have already found that section !  Undecided  Basically that only gives choices as to which program does what, with what.... not deep enough for the probem I have. !  thanks for trying.  Wink
pierre_pierre
Grafter

how far away from what you want are the files numbered?  As this alternative to Explorer lets you do a bulk change of the file names  http://www.freecommander.com/, so for instance your P1600001.jpg, you select the files you want to change, enter P16000 into just one box, click rename and its done. also had one that allowed you to sequentially renumber files, but I foolishly deleted that recently
shutter
Community Veteran

Yes, Pierre,  I know how to re-name, and use bulk processing, but when I downloaded from the camera before, it produced the numbers as 001.jpg    002.jpg 003.jpg etc etc, without any further processing..... It is not critical, just that I don`t like the long numbers, as each folder is dated, therefore 003.jpg can be in many folders throughout the year..... never found this to be a problem before......
Really would like to "uninstall" the camera, and start again, but don`t know/can`t fnd how to do it.....
pierre_pierre
Grafter

me I just do a straight explorer copy from the camera to file via usb, and maintain the original "Camera" file name which give date taken one the display
shutter
Community Veteran

which is what I used to do.... but ..... read the original post again.....  Roll_eyes
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Me I have a nearly broken Canon A640 and a new Canon A650, a Samsung (Phone) and Nikon folder on my active list., the two Canons can have identical numbers the Nikon starts DSCN
got a few films from other cameras on my Archive HD, Fufi, Miranda, the newer Panoranic where an a Dual Pentax, normal or panoramic.and a couple of older Russian single Multi lens jobs, with all my trip pics, just got myself a quick 5x7 print scanner for the ones pre Digi that I an putting  into one place, so far done over a 1000 in one week, and they are all on just one SD card
pierre_pierre
Grafter

when I plug my USB in The Friendly M$S comes up with a menu on my older machine asking what program do I want to use, I just cancel that and open up Explorer and slide them over. Dont want them to think I dont know what I am doing.  Stil got to tame Win 7 with its friendly Library, but my brand new (Media, TV tuner, Recorder, etc) machine failed in its first week just before Xmas, awaiting the factory to open next week