cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pics by e-mail

Duncliffe
Dabbler

Pics by e-mail

When I view pics at my Mailbox on the Plusnet web site, they are much larger than the original. Eg 310kb became 427kb, 784kb became 1m. Too large to view easily!  When returned or forwarded, or downloaded to my computer (I use OE), they revert to original sizes. The Support Team suggest changing browser - currently IE. I'd rather not do this. Any alternatives?
Duncliffe
15 REPLIES 15
Denzil
Grafter

Re: Pics by e-mail

I think that is down to the way email attachments are encoded. The process adds additional information which temporarily makes the file bigger. When your download the email with an email client it presents you the original decoded file. When you use webmail you are looking at the encoded file on the webserver. I doubt changing browsers would make any difference.
The increase in size is not that much - in what way are they too large to see? The image resolution doesn't change, it is just the file size, so I would have thought it would just take slightly longer to download, that is all.
Duncliffe
Dabbler

Denzil - thanks.
When I open a pic attachment on line, I have to scroll extensively to view the whole pic. The attachment is shown as, for example, 427 kb, was 310 kb when sent. If I forward the e-mail and attachment it will be shown as the smaller, correct, size; and that's the way it arrives! If I download to my computer, I get the smaller size. I can then view without scrolling. What all this means is that it is just not practical to view pics sent to me unless downloaded to my computer. I can live with that except that there is then no way of viewing the pics from other computers/locations.
Duncliffe
Denzil
Grafter

That will be down to the resolution (no. of pixels) of the image, rather than the file size. When you view an image with webmail it will show it at actual size, i.e. one pixel on the image corresponds to one pixel on your monitor. If the image is 2000 pixels wide, say, and your monitor is 1280, it will only show you part of the image.
When you download the image and, I assume, view it with the Windows image viewer, the image is scaled by default to fit the whole image on the screen.
I haven't got an image in webmail to see how it works, but you could try using the browser's zoom feature - CTRL and - to zoom out, CTRL and + to zoom in.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

if you use irfanview  http://www.irfanview.com/ free, it has a one click to resize the original image to usable page sizes.  The oringnal size is/was stored inside the picture as a EXIF
Denzil
Grafter

Irfanview is great, but you have to download the image first. I have just tried sending myself an image, and looking at it with webmail. CTRL + and - does work reasonably well, and will let you see the whole image in one go.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

I have been using Shrink Pic for a while and find it does a great job for me.  Works very well in the backgrounds.
http://www.onthegosoft.com/shrink_pic.htm
Duncliffe
Dabbler

Thanks to Denzil, Pierre and Artmo for helpful and clear comments. You have given me much to try out; and I now know a bit more about what is going on with my e-mails and pics!.
mentalist3d
Grafter

try changing your browser to FireFox, any large images are automatically scaled to fit the page in FireFox, and then you can magnify if you wish. Internet Explorer will just show you the full size image
pierre_pierre
Grafter

that doesn't help the original question which was e-mail
mentalist3d
Grafter

if you look at the 3rd post, they mention, when they click an attachment to view (in their browser, rather than downloading), Internet explorer shows the full size image causing scrollbars
When I open a pic attachment on line, I have to scroll extensively to view the whole pic

The original OP confused file sizes with resolution sizes as pointed out here
That will be down to the resolution (no. of pixels) of the image, rather than the file size. When you view an image with webmail it will show it at actual size, i.e. one pixel on the image corresponds to one pixel on your monitor. If the image is 2000 pixels wide, say, and your monitor is 1280, it will only show you part of the image.
When you download the image and, I assume, view it with the Windows image viewer, the image is scaled by default to fit the whole image on the screen.

That is why I mentioned FireFox, because if I view an attachment online using Internet Explorer, IE will show the full size image, so if it is bigger than my current screen resolution, you have to use scrollbars to view portions of the image. If you use FireFox to view your e-mail attachments, FireFox will show you the image at an intermediate size with the option to view the original size.
So it is a browser problem and not an e-mail problem, hence my original reply.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Sorry no!  just because you and the second poster deviated to internet browsers. this thread is about picture via e-mail, which dont use browsers and has been more than adequately covered
mentalist3d
Grafter

Sorry Pierre, I want no argument, however, the OP mentions viewing his webmail online using his browser, not using an e-mail client
When I view pics at my Mailbox on the Plusnet web site
and also
The Support Team suggest changing browser - currently IE

So Denzil, myself, and the Support Team, all deviated to Internet Browsers, but you are correct and we are wrong, is that what you are trying to say? Even though the original OP doesn't mention using an e-mail client such as outlook or thunderbird.
Look at the 1st post again, he mentions viewing the attachment online from his mailbox, not from a mail client, that is why it is a browser issue and that is why Support suggested to change his browser. Also Denzil clicked that the OP had incomplete knowledge of file sizes vs screen resolutions.
The OP had 2 issues, which I will reword into my words,

• Why do image attachments have a larger file size when on the mail server, and reduced size on computer? (I wasn't replying to this issue)

• When I login to my e-mail account online using a Internet Browser (IE in this case), and click to view an image, the image is to large to display it in full on the browser, without the need of Scrollbars, how can I view them in full size, online from my webmail, online account, without needing to download it first to my PC? (Web browser issue)

Denzil
Grafter

This really isn't worth arguing about! I was going by Duncliffe's statements.
Quote from: Duncliffe
When I view pics at my Mailbox on the Plusnet web site, they are much larger than the original ... When returned or forwarded, or downloaded to my computer (I use OE), they revert to original sizes.

Quote from: Duncliffe
When I open a pic attachment on line, I have to scroll extensively to view the whole pic... 

I took this to mean the problem was with viewing attached images with webmail. If Duncliffe would like to correct us he is most welcome!
Duncliffe
Dabbler

You experts are losing me! My ignorance is such that I wouldn't dare 'correct' you - but thanks for the invite! If you really want clarification please say in the most basic way you can.
Denzil's very clear reply, a few days earlier, resolved my difficulties. I reduced one of my pics to my monitor's  setting (800 x 600), e-mailed it to myself as an attachment, and it fitted my screen when viewed at my mailbox. The ctrl and + or - zoomed in and out; I'll use this in future when I receive an over-large pic.
Incidentally, a friend who uses Yahoo as ISP has no problem; presumably pics are adjusted automatically when viewed.
Duncliffe.