HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Pi-Zero first use

Well finally got my mini-hdmi adapter.
Plugged everything in:-
otg cable-> usb hub with usb-nic, usb-wifi and keyboard
mini-hdmi->hdmi-vga adaptor -> monitor
16Gb micro sdcard - I know over kill but it was all I had lying about.
Boot. Nothing on the monitor. led flashing on the zero.
Remember have to add to the config.txt file to get it to work on my old pi B
remove card, edit and reboot.
Text on screen looking good. Blank screen WTF....
Ahh it boots to a gui.
C-A-F1 back to a shell.
run setup and enable ssh.
check ip address.
reboot
ssh in
YES all working.
Edit wpa-config and add my wifi
wlan0 down/up and wifi comes up. Better than the B was since this wifi dongle wasn't supported.
Updated kernel
Updating system now.

So all in a nice little unit was a shock to get a gui oob. But at least you can still ssh in to it  Cheesy
Great that it supports my wifi dongle (was supposed to be a supported model but it had different hardware to what was listed. ID 0bda:0179 Realtek Semiconductor Corp.). Previously I had to use a pre-built module to get it working.
Now all I have to do is figure out what to do with it  Grin
4 REPLIES 4
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Pi-Zero first use

Did you know it also comes with a free version of Mathematica?  Crazy Crazy
Doesn't really work in 512MB though Sad
You can run your GUI with VNC server installed - successfully!  Grin
The above is for the old version of the Pi, model B.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

HairyMcbiker
All Star

Ahh but I don't want a gui on it. 99+% of what I use pi's for don't run any gui's or info in the shell at all. I have some displaying on LCD or similar or just straight drivers out to hardware.

I don't think I have ever used Mathematica so can't comment on that.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

What sort of hardware HB? - I'm curious... you sound like an inventor of sorts? - Totally excellent!
As for GUI... I got one of the original Pi's.... got x11vnc installed on it so that it connects to the real desktop not a virtual session which was winding me up at the time (booting on the TV and then trying to log in from the desktop was frustrating).
I need to get me some of these pi zero things... but when that'll be is beyond me. I'm being told i have too much clutter these days  Roll_eyes She doesn't understand what being a man interested in technical stuff is all about  Cry
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Nothing so illustrious 7up, just playing with one as a brew controller and an other couple as internet radio players. Neither of which need a gui.
The zero will be great as either of these as the power used will be even lower.
Just waiting for my header to arrive now to start plugging into the gpio headers.
With them being priced at £4 it is very tempting to throw them at loads of projects like temp measurement, but the issue is cost spirals when you add wifi adaptors etc. Although you could use one wire sensors and remote sensors using just the 2/3 wire connection.
With VNC you need to make sure you are serving/connecting to :0 not any other or it is an other session. Used to annoy me as well till I figured it out. Some servers have a switch you need to set to enable it.