Photo hosting sites

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Photo hosting sites

Are there any that you would definitely
recommend
not recommend for their security?
One group I subscribe to uses upmyphoto.com but more than once or twice, when they have opened links to photos on the site, warnings have popped up that the jpg photo is infected.
So far it hasn't happened to me, but I am concerned.
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
14 REPLIES 14
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Re: Photo hosting sites

I use flickr for the small amount of photo sharing I do.  Worth a look.
Flickr
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

You could also set up a "personal blog site"......
Like mine..... http://nemosphotography.blogspot.com/
(OR maybe,...... do a better job than me.... )
you can make your own website using Jalbum, and have them host it for freeeeeeee..... www.jalbum.net ; includes a helpful forum too !
Be3G
Grafter

I'll add a vote for Flickr too – have got something like 1800 photographs on there and have never had a problem.
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Thx thus far, but how would many of you react to the events on upmyphoto that I described?
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Photobucket has always served me well. Re the events described - I'd be very suspicious and move to one of the many available alternatives.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Flickr is run by Yahoo, not that it means much
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Another option: http://www.webshots.com/
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
pierre_pierre
Grafter

artmo
Aspiring Champion

Quote from: jelv
Another option: http://www.webshots.com/

I use webshots and can recommend it Smiley
Be3G
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
another one is http://photobucket.com also free and better than flickr for small video posting
http://s654.photobucket.com/albums/uu270/pierre-pierre_2009/?action-view&current=Patient-Cat.flv

Photobucket and Flickr serve two different purposes really. Photobucket is for uploading random images, clipart etc. for use on the web, whereas Flickr is actually for proudly displaying photographs and/or videos that one has taken.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

I Use picasa and have had no problems with it. It includes amongst many things an option to allow anyone to view your photos or keep them private so only others who you give the link to can see them.
Worth looking at.
We are born into history and history is born into us.
mentalist3d
Grafter

Quote from: shutter
You could also set up a "personal blog site"......
Like mine..... http://nemosphotography.blogspot.com/
(OR maybe,...... do a better job than me.... )
you can make your own website using Jalbum, and have them host it for freeeeeeee..... www.jalbum.net ;  includes a helpful forum too !

I have to agree with Shutter, because if you set-up your own site (and it can be quite easy if you choose the right software such as jalbum or WordPress) you retain control and ownership of your images. Before registering with any photo sharing site, make sure you check out thier terms & conditions and privacy policies. For example on Photo Bucket:
6.1  Photobucket does not claim any ownership rights in the text, files, images, photos, video, sounds, musical works, works of authorship, applications, or any other materials (collectively, "Content") that you post on or through the Photobucket Services. By displaying or publishing ("posting") any Content on or through the Photobucket Services, you hereby grant to Photobucket and other users a non-exclusive, fully paid and royalty-free, worldwide, limited license to use, modify, delete from, add to, publicly perform, publicly display, reproduce and translate such Content, including without limitation distributing part or all of the Site in any media formats through any media channels, except Content marked "private" will not be distributed outside the Photobucket Services. Photobucket and/or other Users may copy, print or display publicly available Content outside of the Photobucket Services, including without limitation, via the Site or third party websites or applications (for example, services allowing Users to order prints of Content or t-shirts and similar items containing Content). After you remove your Content from the Photobucket Website we will cease distribution as soon as practicable, and at such time when distribution ceases, the license to such Content will terminate. If after we have distributed your Content outside the Photobucket Website you change the Content’s privacy setting to "private," we will cease any further distribution of such "private" Content outside the Photobucket Website as soon as practicable.
Basically people can use your images for whatever purpose without having to pay you a penny.
Be3G
Grafter

Flickr's fine in that regard I believe; you only grant them the right to do whatever they want with your photos/videos on the Flickr site itself.
mentalist3d
Grafter

that's good to know, I'm always wary of joining sites especially if they claim an exclusive right to your content to use in any way they want. If I want my images or content available I prefer to use the creative commons licence.