Did you mean: 

Phone & Motherboard speeds

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Re: Phone & Motherboard speeds

@jab1 wrote:

@VileReynard wrote:

@jab1 Your point about the date seems to be ignored, sadly.

As @7up hasn't responded yet, I'll reserve comment, but yes, it has been ignored. Surprising on here, but it is something I have got used to on another local forum, where if you attempt to post anything on a serious topic that doesn't fit with the 'received wisdom', you get ignored - they can't be bothered to defend themselves.

I don't really think that's fair comment to be honest - I've been busy all day. Sorry if that's unacceptable to you both however I do have other stuff going on. I also spend a lot less time on this forum ever since the global ban that happened to everyone ages ago - I just can't be bothered as much.

As I said in my last reply it's a server glitch and nothing to do with me. My clock is correct and is routinely sync'd via the internet by a program called clockwise. The http protocol doesn't typically specify dates and times with transmission other than a last modified header.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Fair enough - I imagine that nobody thought that a possible battery issue that keeps your BIOS fully alive was worthy of comment.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

@7up wrote:

@jab1 wrote:

@VileReynard wrote:

@jab1 Your point about the date seems to be ignored, sadly.

As @7up hasn't responded yet, I'll reserve comment, but yes, it has been ignored. Surprising on here, but it is something I have got used to on another local forum, where if you attempt to post anything on a serious topic that doesn't fit with the 'received wisdom', you get ignored - they can't be bothered to defend themselves.

I don't really think that's fair comment to be honest - I've been busy all day. Sorry if that's unacceptable to you both however I do have other stuff going on. I also spend a lot less time on this forum ever since the global ban that happened to everyone ages ago - I just can't be bothered as much.

As I said in my last reply it's a server glitch and nothing to do with me. My clock is correct and is routinely sync'd via the internet by a program called clockwise. The http protocol doesn't typically specify dates and times with transmission other than a last modified header.

My comment wasn't aimed at yo, specifically, @7up - I quite understand that people have other things to do than sit in front of a keyboard all day. It was a general comment aimed more at the large number people who come to the forum with bald complaints and then either ignore suggestions of how they could help themselves, or just never bother to return at all - see my post here: https://community.plus.net/t5/ADSL-Broadband/Connection-speed-complaints/td-p/1645296

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@7up wrote:

Reason I ask is my current system is getting incredibly sluggish - to the point where it's taking 10 mins to become usable when turning it on (no registry cleaner suggestions please). I've cleaned out the temp files and all the other usual tricks but its made no real difference

In my experience upgrades to the following make a significant difference to computer performance.

Change HDD for SSD.

Clean install of OS (far more effective than registry cleaners etc.) every couple of years or so.

Increase RAM

Updated Graphics card (probably not feasible on laptop).

Updating drivers. I know this can be contentious and some will argue against it but I have found that very occassionally installing the free version of Driver Booster and running it can make a significant difference. I remove it after use to stop the 'please upgrade to the paid version' nagging messages.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

@7up wrote:

See I never bother with updates but I've noticed my system becoming slower and slower for certain things.

Not bothering with updates will leave your computer vulnerable to viruses.  A virus could easily give rise to the symptoms you describe.  A clean install should fix the problem provided you re-format the disk in case the virus has found its way into the boot sector.  Back-up your files first, of course.

Electro-mechanical hard drives have s failure mode where parts of the drive become very difficult but not impossible to read.  PCs don't timeout on hard drive reads so if your PC tries to read a file on a bad part of the disk it's like swimming through treacle.  So replace the hard drive if the clean install does not work.  

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Check the SMART statistics if you suspect a hardware problem, reformat it if you suspect you have a fragmented Windows file system which can't be satisfactorily defragmented.

Hard drives will time out if a block can't be read - but they will retry a read many times. When you write a block, a check read is performed and if this fails the block will be marked as bad and one will be allocated from a reserve area.

More than a few reallocations indicates that its time to replace the disk.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

@ReedRichards wrote:

@7up wrote:

See I never bother with updates but I've noticed my system becoming slower and slower for certain things.

Not bothering with updates will leave your computer vulnerable to viruses.  A virus could easily give rise to the symptoms you describe.  A clean install should fix the problem provided you re-format the disk in case the virus has found its way into the boot sector.  Back-up your files first, of course.

I do regular scans of the system anyway and I'm not the most explorative on the internet - a few googles here and there but most of my time is on forums or news sites. Admittedly I've only done the clean install on this machine once (i think) and it is 9 years old now lol but even on other machines I found that was a limited approach as they still seemed to be slower than when new hence the original question.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!