Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone & Motherboard speeds

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Phone & Motherboard speeds

So with Samsung and Apple having previously been found to deliberately slow down phones, I can't help but wonder if this has also been going on with motherboards?

Reason I ask is my current system is getting incredibly sluggish - to the point where it's taking 10 mins to become usable when turning it on (no registry cleaner suggestions please). I've cleaned out the temp files and all the other usual tricks but its made no real difference.

Anyone heard of anything like this?

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
21 REPLIES 21
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Phone & Motherboard speeds

@7up Strangely enough, I have also noticed this problem, but having watched task manager at start-up, I have concluded the culprit is Windows itself.

The hogs seem to be CompatTelRunner and TrustedInstaller, although other Windows processes also seem to be taking longer than usual.

This is on a W7 Home Premium machine, and I am just wondering (cynical I know) if MS, in their 'updates', which no longer contain any useful information, are degrading performance to persuade us to move to that pile of rubbish known as 'W10'?

Edit: Is your system time correct? - you appear to have posted at 11.54PM today.

John
daveplus
Pro
Fixes: 10

Hi

CompatTelRunner can be got rid of. I always remove as much as I can to do with telemetry.

see https://appuals.com/how-to-fix-high-cpu-disk-usage-by-compattelrunner-exe/

Dave

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Fitting an SSD then doing a clean OS install works wonders.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jab1
Legend

Thanks, @daveplus - I'll give that a whirl later.Smiley

John
jab1
Legend

@Baldrick1 wrote:

Fitting an SSD then doing a clean OS install works wonders.

True, @Baldrick1 , but I'm not that bothered. Good idea, though.

John
idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@7up wrote: to the point where it's taking 10 mins to become usable when turning it on (no registry cleaner suggestions please). Anyone heard of anything like this?

If it's W10, good luck on that one. W10 seems to be forever checking for/ downloading updates. Have 3 laptops and none of them I'd say was fast starting. The desktop - W8.1 is another matter. Up and running within 30 seconds.

Have you tried using Process Explorer? That will tell you a lot - far more than Task Manager. How to use, if you really want to use it all.

While you mention start up, what's it like running? 

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

@jab1 Your point about the date seems to be ignored, sadly.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Baldrick1

@idonno wrote:

If it's W10, good luck on that one. W10 seems to be forever checking for/ downloading updates. Have 3 laptops and none of them I'd say was fast starting. The desktop - W8.1 is another matter. Up and running within 30 seconds.

From finishing the bios set up and the appearance of the Windows screen to getting to the Log In screen takes my Win10 desktop exactly 10 seconds. After entering the password it takes another 5 seconds or so to settle down.

As I said earlier, a SSD system disk and a clean install works wonders.

I have a rarely used laptop running Win 10, upgraded from Win 7 in the days of free upgrades using the original laptop HDD. This takes takes forever to boot.

Moderator and Customer

jab1
Legend

@VileReynard wrote:

@jab1 Your point about the date seems to be ignored, sadly.

As @7up hasn't responded yet, I'll reserve comment, but yes, it has been ignored. Surprising on here, but it is something I have got used to on another local forum, where if you attempt to post anything on a serious topic that doesn't fit with the 'received wisdom', you get ignored - they can't be bothered to defend themselves.

John
daveplus
Pro

@Baldrick1 You are right about the SSD. I put one in my desktop PC and it really speeded up an already fast machine. I also put one in my old laptop and that speeds along now.

But it doesn't fix the problem of Microsoft bloat. I wish they would release a streamlined Windows and offer optional extras for those who want them.

daveplus
Pro

@idonno I have set my network connection as metered. That stops Windows 10 being updated automatically and allows me to do it when I want to.

Baldrick1

@daveplus wrote:

But it doesn't fix the problem of Microsoft bloat. I wish they would release a streamlined Windows and offer optional extras for those who want them.

I agree but I doubt it will ever happen.

I recent installed the Cinnamon version of Linux mint on a very old single core processor laptop after also sticking in a spare 128GB SSD. It  is very Windows like in operation and is very fast. It just shows what can be done

Moderator and Customer

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@daveplus I might give that a whirl on the laptops. Although I see the latest update is suppose to be an improvement on what's gone before. Can delay updates. But grabbing 7Gb of your drive just for updates...Huh I seem to recall the last update was a 5Gb download. A lot of bloatware too.

@Baldrick1  Yes, SSD's are the way to go. Got a fair number already. Smiley

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

@jab1 wrote:

This is on a W7 Home Premium machine, and I am just wondering (cynical I know) if MS, in their 'updates', which no longer contain any useful information, are degrading performance to persuade us to move to that pile of rubbish known as 'W10'?

Edit: Is your system time correct? - you appear to have posted at 11.54PM today.

See I never bother with updates but I've noticed my system becoming slower and slower for certain things. Moons ago i upped the ram to 4GB from just 2 and it made a massive difference... and now that difference is barely noticeable.

System clock is correct, the http protocol doesn't specify a time of posting - that is done on the server so you're looking at a server glitch there.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!