Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone Problem

FIXED
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Phone Problem

@MrAllen2021  Seems like you have not been reading through the thread ...... again....

. please Don`t tell the missus.....

she will be wondering how she has been making calls and receiving text messages on her phone  for the past few years....  and start asking me all sorts of techy type questions, that I am not able to answer...

P.S.....................  Check out the middle pic  Roll_eyes on Post number 13  Roll_eyes of this thread..   Roll_eyes.

Huh  ( kinda gives an obvious clue ) .Undecided

shutter
Community Veteran

@RobPN   Update !.... just received another "new" one from a different supplier... took my old Microsoft Lumia Three sim card out and put it in the new phone... works no problem... so  from the previous phone , I would think that the RED X above the signal level meter, means it is "Locked" to a provider.

@RobPN wrote;

Old SIMs can be cut down to the correct size using a sharp pair of scissors if you're careful.

So... I thought I would try to have a go at cutting down the missus phone sim card.. (old FULL SIZE one ) 

but the patterns on the contact side are different shapes, and... a bigger size contact area in the middle as well as those around the centre square...  see pic,.... so I have left it alone at the moment...not wishing to "bork" her phone...

P1100924.JPG

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@shutter wrote:

@RobPN   Update !.... just received another "new" one from a different supplier... took my old Microsoft Lumia Three sim card out and put it in the new phone... works no problem... so  from the previous phone , I would think that the RED X above the signal level meter, means it is "Locked" to a provider.

So, probably locked as suspected @shutter , and strangely, apparently not to EE as you tried the EE SIM which accompanied the original phone.  Huh

So... I thought I would try to have a go at cutting down the missus phone sim card.. (old FULL SIZE one ) 

but the patterns on the contact side are different shapes, and... a bigger size contact area in the middle as well as those around the centre square...  see pic,.... so I have left it alone at the moment...not wishing to "bork" her phone...

ISTR when I did that a few years ago the pattern of the old one had more contacts like the one in your image has.

So what I did was lay another 3 in 1 holder with just the centre nano-SIM removed to use as a template, and marked the area on the old SIM which was visible through the hole on the inside the holder with a sharp knife.  If you've saved the parts from your own SIM you'll be able to do that.

I suspect that many of the contact areas on the old SIM won't be required so in your position I'd go ahead with that.  If you bug mess it up, yes she'll be without her phone, but that would probably be the case anyway if you have to order a new one and wait for it to arrive.

If she stores contact details on the SIM you might like to find a way of backing them up. Maybe the old phone can send them as a file via email?

shutter
Community Veteran

@RobPN  Yes, I thought about using the "empty hole" left by the new sim card size as a guide.. unfortunately, the old fone is so old, it doesn`t have bluetooth... so can`t do a transfer that way.. so I have to write them down and then plug them into the new phone... that`s not so easy as each letter needs a selection on the keyboard... then on the screen, then  "OK".. then go to the next letter, and do the same again... ( on the old phone if you continued to press the keypad the letter automatically advanced to the next one alphabetically).. so a right pain for entering the new names.. numbers are o.k..  another problem is the old phone has a "time out" on the screen display, which is shorter than the time to write down half a number ...

Ah Well..... gives me something to do for the rest of the day ! ! !>

I have already "Ported in" to Asda.. so the old phone is useless now ! ! .

cheers

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@shutter wrote:

I have already "Ported in" to Asda.. so the old phone is useless now ! ! .

@shutter 

Will the old phone still show the contact details stored on its old SIM?

If so, after you've 'backed them up' via pen and paper, couldn't you try cutting the SIM down for insertion into the new phone, and transfer the details from that SIM to the new phones internal memory?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@shutter 

Thinking out loud now:

Where are the contact details stored, in the SIM or phone?

I vaguely remember having this sort of problem in the past and what I did was a double shuffle. I transferred the contacts from the old SIM to the Old phone memory. I then fitted the new SIM in the old phone using an adapter. I then copied the contacts from the old phone memory to the new SIM, put the new SIM in the new phone and all was well with the world.

Because all that is entailed is moving the phone contacts between phone memory and SIM it should not need a network connection for it to work.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

shutter
Community Veteran

@RobPN  & @Baldrick1   ok... Thanks for the input... it`s all done now.. ( apart from completing the PAC importing to ASDA... that went all wrong ! ! ) ... 

In some respects it was a good exercise to do them manually... as  I managed to delete a few redundant numbers in the process... also got to know how to add new numbers in for future reference !

cheers