Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone Memory Query

FIXED
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Phone Memory Query

My present phone, a Microsoft Lumia435, keeps reporting that it is charging slowly, and to use the mains charger.... which gives the same report... so..... I am considering going to Carphone Warehouse, and see what upgrades they can offer me for less than a fiver.... !  Yeah I know ... cheapskate.... but this present one only cost me £2.50 from them a few years ago....

I am wondering if there is any other "memory" in the actual phone itself, apart from the memory card with all the numbers on it, (which will be transferred into the new phone) .

If so... is it possible, some way... to "wipe" that memory, before disposal back to Carphone Warehouse, in the "part exchange" process ?

7 REPLIES 7
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Phone Memory Query

@shutter

Being an iPhone user I am not familar with your model. This is how an iPhone works and I've no reason to suspect your model of phone is any different:

You have a soft reset, it just reboots the phone and doesn't wipe anything at all. This is useful if the phone is playing up (for example mine wasn't picking up any WiFi when I knew I was in an area with coverage). That fixed it.

A hard reset wipes everything, which sounds like what you need. I know I am stating the obvious but just double check you have backed up all your data before you do that Grin

Apple have a DFU (Device Firmware Upgrade) mode, which deletes everything and you have to flash the phone so it is even usable.

Sorry getting a bit off topic, let me do some checks on your model as I am interested now:

• Yes you are correct, it does have internal storage. I quote (ok this is a copy and paste from elsewhere of course):
    The phone packs 8GB of internal storage that can be expanded up to 128GB via a microSD card.
  • Ok take your memory card out, once done this looks like a way to do it (good old copy and paste again!)

Master reset from settings menu
    1. Back up data on the internal memory.
    2. From the Start screen, touch the screen and slide left.
    3. Scroll down to and tap Settings > about > reset your phone.
    4. Read the warning about your personal content being erased, then tap yes > yes.
Anonymous
Not applicable

The best option would be to factory reset your phone, do it with the SIM card out.

https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-29540

shutter
Community Veteran

@Alex & @Anonymous  ok.... Thanks for the research and information.... I did not do anything on my previous phone regarding memory cleaning... just took the card out and put it into this one.... so will remove the card, and then do a factory reset, as @Anonymous suggested.

Thanks guys !Wink

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Fix

Yeah - you were right to be suspicious about internal memory, as even if you take your memory card out the phone could still have your personal details on there.

So do a reset after you're confident everything is backed up, take memory card out first (this is just a precaution, as if it is not in the phone, the phone cannot wipe it!). Then do that reset to clear the internal memory.

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Lumia's seem to be prone to usb port problems. Which often leads to no charging or intermittent / slow charging.

I've managed to replace a few of these ports, including a 435, using a normal soldering iron but some models I've seen have the actual port wires part covered by a metal cage which makes repair by an amateur like me impossible.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@shutter - Don't know if you've been down to the store yet, but you may want to have a read of this before you re-commit yourself to them.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45016906

shutter
Community Veteran

@Anonymous Thanks for the heads up on that  !.... I paid cash for the last "upgrade"  so they may only have had my name and address on their records.... however, did make a large purchase at Curry`s PCW a few years back on the card.... not sure if that would be included in that report...  Trouble is... once it`s hacked... there`s not much anyone can do about it, unless they know their own personal card(s) have been compromised..

Haven`t been there yet.... there is also an O2 and an EE store in the same high street, so may "do the rounds" and see what is on offer. And , again,  pay cash.... !