cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Personal Finance Software

pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Personal Finance Software

I had  next no problem moving the  files between machines, just after the set up on a new machine it does start as new, but restore the back up file sorts that out no problem
cant remember now, a few months since I did it, I still have the original CD's but I think that I did it by linking the old HD and the new, copy over the Quicken folder, run it and copy over a small number of missing dll's
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: David
downloading Quicken 98 from Inuit, see if that meets my needs! --- nope, won't install on X64 Windows

Try some of the compatibility modes for running the installer?
(I've installed all sorts of ancient stuff quite succesfully on x64 Vista and W7)
David_W
Rising Star

I managed to get hold of Microsoft Money Sunset, it seems to do what I require and even has a planner for my debt reduction, even telling me how much interest I'll save.  If I pay X amount each month I'll save Y in interest and have it paid off by Z.  I've tried quite a lot, YNAB 3 is a very good also ran, but none of them had the credit card facilities that I require, MS Money Sunset does seem to offer everything I need.  Though I need my Halifax card to arrive and transfer so I can work everything out in detail, but so far it seems to be pretty good, I have no idea why MS abandoned Money.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Maybe they and other such software providers saw the impending demise of the UK economy and didn't think it worth continuing support. Cry
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

One that I had quite a few years ago, was free on  a mag cd..... called
M.Y.O.B.    "Mind Your Own Business"...
MrT
Grafter

Quote from: David

Quicken Home & Business
First one I tried, big name.... seems to be dedicated totally to the United States, I couldn't even figure out where to change it to £ and it wasn't compatible with the statement (quicken) download from my bank - avoid (unless you're in the US).
er suggestions that I've missed?

To change to £ do the following:
Select Edit>Preferences>Quicken Preference>Calendar and currency. Tick Multicurrency support

Select Tools>Currency List. Tick UK Pounds Sterling as Home Currency.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Bet it can't do VAT.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Why would a personal finance package as opposed to a package for small businesses need to do VAT?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
David_W
Rising Star

I think VAT is difficult for most things, especially purchasing, you'd need to know which items were 0%, which were 7% (or something) and which were 20%.  Money does do taxes and can work out how much tax you owe, it can even work out frequent flier points earned per transaction on a card.  I'm really quite pleased with it, especially the price.  It also has a budget for next month, I put in my bills due and it works out how much spare cash I'll have at the end of the month so it does allow me to budget my money so I know how much cash I have to splash on nothing, well, on paying off my silly credit card.
MrT
Grafter

If you want a package that copes with VAT then try QuickBooks or TasBooks Basic Free.
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Quote from: A
Bet it can't do VAT.

Quicken 2000 can do VAT and multi currency.
I am looking to replace this as the program is a bit old now and has the occasional glitch.
I looked at Home Accountz but gave up - much too complicated.  I even bought a cheap QucikBooks 2006 but this no good.  Does currencies but not shares.
Does anyone know if any of the packages mentioned do ...
1) VAT
2) Currencies
3) Shares
4) Custom reports
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Quote from: A
Bet it can't do VAT.

Quicken 2000 can do shares, VAT and multi currency.
I am looking to replace this as the program is a bit old now and has the occasional glitch.
I looked at Home Accountz but gave up - much too complicated.  I even bought a cheap QucikBooks 2006 but this no good.  Does currencies but not shares.
1) VAT
2) Currencies
3) Shares
4) Custom reports
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

A spreadsheet can do all of those things, with a bit of ingenuity.
As for shares, sign-up at http://www.iii.co.uk and create yourself a portfolio.
If you don't have much trading activity, this will highlight valuations etc in multiple currencies - even showing profit/loss.
You can show a few current share prices on a Firefox using the FoxStocks plug-in. Smiley

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Cliff_Jordan
Grafter

Quote from: Nick
1) VAT
2) Currencies
3) Shares
4) Custom reports

http://www.gnucash.org/index.phtml
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Tas books wont do multi accounts, checked it out for my brother in law who is  a Local NT treasurer, then  had one heck of a job getting rid of them from my PC