cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Permission to move folder denied - help please

bubbalicious
Grafter

Permission to move folder denied - help please

I'm backing up all my 2008 bits to an external hard drive and DVD's and whilst sorting out my folders using windows explorer in Vista I am having problems. I am wanting to move a Folder in 'My Pictures' to another one in 'My Pictures', when I try I the message appears
--- Folder Access Denied' -  you'll need to provide administrator permission to move to this folder 'Destination.---- I select continue and see another window -----
Windows needs your permission ---  I select okay and then I am  refused -----  'Folder Access Denied' - you need permission to perform this action! 
It seems to be happening with any folder i create today, whether the new one being in My Pictures or in my documents. However I can move the folder to a different folder without being denied access as long as it isn't one I created today !!
I have checked the windows explorer Help & Support and can only see that I need to be set up as the administrator as my user account type, which I selected to be from the first time I set up my Vista and still am!
:-\Baffled I was hoping a kind forum member could help me out please 
Kindly someone on the forum has previously told me I can turn off this User Account Control but a bit paranoid about security I haven't done that and wondered if there is another way around this
Happy New year, Sally Cheesy
17 REPLIES 17
newmillscomp
Grafter

Re: Permission to move folder denied - help please

click start
all programs
accessories
highlight windows explores and right click on it
click run as administrator
bubbalicious
Grafter

Thanks newmillscomp but I have just tried what you suggested and i am still being denied!  Crazy
MuppetGrinder
Grafter

if that doesn't work (which it should, but just in case) give this a try : http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/ one of my fave proggies of all time Smiley
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Is it a date problem?
Either current date or date created on existing folders - possibly?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Can you move it somewhere else - not in my pictures - then move it to where you want
bubbalicious
Grafter

Cheers peeps,
i have turned my laptop off and then on again to retry setting windows explorer to run as the administrator and it is still not resolving the issue, I am going to read about the program you kindly provided the link to.
axisofevil ( but always to me axisofnice!!) - date problem? I think I'm having a 'blonde moment' and am not sure what it means and what I need to do about it - The folder I want to move and want to move to are both ones I created today if it makes any difference. The one I want to move contains photos taken/downloaded  today, and the one I want to move them to is so far empty.
OldJim - I have tried to create  folders in My Documents and also My Music and I am still getting the same denial message when I try to move to them!

Will it make a big impact on my security if I just turn the UAC off?
Thanks

newmillscomp
Grafter

Have you checked the Folder permissions by right clicking and selecting properties
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Can you try this - picked up from another forum
Luckily I discovered my problem and fixed it. When I right clicked on Documents and selected Properties then selected security, along with my name
and administrator there was an entry for Everybody but with no permissions checked. I removed the entry for everybody, closed everything out then left clicked on documents. It now opened as it should.
By the way - this is what mine shows (I run as Administrator)
bubbalicious
Grafter

Between my last posts I have also discovered I am denied renaming folders or moving any from my HDD and also in my Pictures folder?
I followed the instructions old jim that you so kindly posted I have included a jpeg of what it shows for me (sally) as I don't have an everybody, it looks to me like i have permission to do everything as there are no ticks in deny or no empty boxes.  I closed it all down but again was denied moving the folder I want to move and also am still denied renaming, moving folders in my HDD -!!!!!!!  I re-opened properties again and this time put a tick in a deny box for me and then applied, then changed it back to allow and applied (just wondering if it may reset how it should be -if that makes sense) - a window popped up that scrolled through all my folders but has also not resolved the issue!?????!!!!!!

Oldjim
Resting Legend

I am struggling a bit here as I don't understand what has gone wrong.
However from the Document Properties popup you showed can you click on Advanced and then Owner - what does it say under Current Owner
This is what mine shows
One other thing all users have full permissions - that is System, James and Administrators
bubbalicious
Grafter

newmillscomp
Grafter

suggestion - on the adwanced properties click on owner and take ownership of the folder and sub folders.
This will establish you as owner and you should have full control to do as you please.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Using explorer
When you go to pictures do you see something like this -- note the little arrow next to sample pictures
bubbalicious
Grafter

James, this is what I see when I open pictures - I haven't got anything with a little arrow - the only sample pictures are in my Public folder!