cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Performance of SSL 443 port forward PN router

dcldesign
Hooked

Performance of SSL 443 port forward PN router

I have FTTC with a static IP on a residential contract (38/12 Mbit U/D) and using standard 2 year old PN router (Hub One).

I host multiple web servers and other appliances and these have very good performance with low latency etc. I have recently setup an SSL site and have forwarded ports appropriately and this works fine, but slowly. Locally accessing the site shows page generation times of <0.2s and fast painting etc. Accessing the site through its normal external domain name however is very slow (2-3 seconds to display each page typically).

Is there a known issue forwarding SSL traffic through this router? If so, can anyone recommend an inexpensive 3rd party alternative?

Thanks in advance

4 REPLIES 4
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Re: Performance of SSL 443 port forward PN router

but your local network will be at least 100Mb bidirectional (more likely gigabit!) whereas your external connection is max 10Mb upstream.

So if you're generating a significant amount of data it's going to be at least 10x slower...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dcldesign
Hooked

Yes that's true - but the typical full page size is 23kB so it didn't ought to be a problem.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@dcldesign wrote:

Locally accessing the site shows page generation times of <0.2s and fast painting etc. Accessing the site through its normal external domain name however is very slow (2-3 seconds to display each page typically).

Accept your point about page size, but what @MisterW says is right. You're comparing apples to oranges. Also, if there's a lot of upstream/downstream traffic on your network when somebody tries accessing the site, then it's going to affect response times.

Is there a known issue forwarding SSL traffic through this router? If so, can anyone recommend an inexpensive 3rd party alternative?

There is no known issue.

In fact, I'm using a Hub One at the moment and I too have multiple web servers hosted on my network. They are all accessed externally using SSL/TLS on the default port (which is forwarded through the router). I have some external monitoring set up - nothing too clever - I think it just looks for successful HTTP responses. The response times though are typically between 0-3 seconds. Each of the graphs below belongs to a different server, but they're all behind the Hub One, externally accessed on port 443:-

server_1.JPG

server_2.JPG

server_4.JPG

My experience using myriad routers is that the device has little influence on the response times above.

Another thing to note, is the fact that my upload speed is five times what yours is. The servers are also behind a Powerline network though which will be adding a ms or so to proceedings. 

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

dcldesign
Hooked

Thanks Bob that's very reassuring. At least now I know to look elsewhere for the problem or to accept 2s as a reasonable latency!