Hay guys my current pc;
phenom II x4 955
HD 4890
Asus M5A78L-M/USB3
broke (mobo and gfx card). So I have ordered a few new parts;
FX 8350
HD 7850
Asus M5A99X Evo R2.0
I was happy with my current setup no problems with the games I play and other uses I have for my pc but thought spending a little extra on newer parts would be better. Considering  performance previously is this money well spent?
9 REPLIES 9
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Pc Upgrade

The first and obvious question is what broke the mobo and graphics card and are you sure the CPU is OK - unless you have a clear cause it may be the power supply  so just replacing the broken parts would be a mistake
Just to add - not only could a PSU fault give those symptoms but - and this is what would really worry me - a faulty power supply could send the wrong voltage down the 12 volt line and fry the GPU and the Modo
RickK
Grafter

Totally agree with good'ol Jim here.
If you have the opportunity to test the defective parts before purchasing new ones then would probably save you some time and money if they have a strict returns process.
I have been fortunate enough that I keep my parts when upgrading my computers, so if something breaks I would breadboard the computer (strip it to basics) and see what errors the motherboard supplies, I have had a problematic PSU (Power supply) before and I thought it was the motherboard, so just have a hunt around for a old computer that you can plug the power cables in from.
Keystroke
Dabbler

Well the mobo has pieces falling off it so I would presume it isn't the psu  :P. As for the gfx card I got it a few years ago pre owned and the connections are loose and not able to send a signal through hdmi unless I tape it in place so not ideal. As for the psu its a corsair one bought new when my last psu poped due to old age.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Nowt wrong with a upgrade whether it was broke or not , you have a good choice of parts there , what memory are you getting ?
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

IMO the HD 7850 is a good graphcs card for the money (depending, of course, on what you paid  Crazy), I believe you should notice a difference compared to the HD 4890.
The rest I can't really comment on since I haven't used AMD CPUs since my Athlon XP.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Keystroke
Dabbler

Im using the old g-skill ripjaws 2x4gb (only at 1333mhz though) I have left over from my other mobo. I want to upgrade to 16gb but cant justify why I would need that much ram at the moment.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

depends on your PC use 16gig is a waste of money , i run BF3 all ultra settings with the 7850 Smiley  and a AMD 6300 and only have 8 gig or ram , hardly ever  use more than 60% of ram  Roll_eyes
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I'd tend to agree, for most people/usage 4 to 6 GB is enough, 8GB is 'plenty', you'd see little, if any, benefit going from 8GB to 16GB unless seriously multitasking with several memory intensive applications.
Save your cash for now - you can always upgrade later if you feel it's necessary.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Keystroke
Dabbler

Thanks for the advice guys Cheesy