Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Partitioning Disc 0 currently with a single partition, C:, containing Windows 7

fotobits
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Partitioning Disc 0 currently with a single partition, C:, containing Windows 7

I'm taking delivery of a new PC with Windows 7 in C; a single partition in Disc 0.
I want Windows 7 and ultimately the Apps programs in a C: partition with at least one further partion on disc 0.
I understand that this can be done with Windows 7.
Can anyone confirm this and describe how I do it?
I am familiar with Disc Management in XP.
Regards.....
5 REPLIES 5
fotobits
Rising Star

Re: Partitioning Disc 0 currently with a single partition, C:, containing Windows 7

.....just found this!
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2672-partition-volume-shrink.html
Problem solved and I thought others might be interested.
Regards.....
colintivy
Rising Star

Re: Partitioning Disc 0 currently with a single partition, C:, containing Windows 7

I am in a similar process with a shrunken partition holding Win 7 with the intention of using the unallocated space as an extended partition. To overcome the 4 partition limit I will have to delete a small primary partition with HP guff in it (having saved its contents in a folder). I want to instal Mint11 from a live C using gparted, leaving enough spare space for a replacement FAT32 partition after the ext4 stuff for the Linux system. This tutorial looks like making me use the cmd line to format this small partition to FAT 32 rather than NTFS. Is this so?  If I get this far, I presume that I will be able to transfer the contents of the HP folder into the new folder by copy/paste assuming that this is available. I also assume that Win7 will again "see" the FAT32 partition just as it did when it was in its original position.Am I being too optimistic?
C.    Huh Huh
fotobits
Rising Star

I am unable to give you a definitive, or indeed complete response, however, the limitation of partitions on a disc only relates to Primary Partitions, doesn't it?
I guess that Win 7 will be able to access the FAT 32 partition providing the Drive Letter has remained unchanged.
Sorry I can't offer proper help.  You could try the Windows 7 Forum, although responses are not always forthcoming!
Regards.......Noel
Heloman
Grafter

colintivy
Win7 OEMs using all four primary partitions are a PITA for users wanting to install another OS!
Yes, it can be solved by shrinking the partitions and I'm sure that the new FAT 32 partition will still be recognised.
My solution is much simpler. I install my Linux distros on an external usb HDD.!
The external drive is formatted with ext3/4 and there is no limit on partitions. I currently run my primary OS, PCLinuxOS,
on it and also have installed MINT and MEPIS just to check them out.
As long as the Grub bootloader is always installed to the MBR on the internal HDD I have never had a problem. On boot up it invariably offers all the Windows/Linux options available.
Not a solution which would suit everyone but it's ideal for me Smiley
colintivy
Rising Star

Thanks Heloman that is comforting. I may well bung Mint11 on to an external HD in the end. Advice elsewhere suggested that what I proposed would be feasible. I just had a niggling worry about the stages after wiping the HP partition as described above. It is true what you say about OEMs adding a token partition just to take up the full ration, no doubt some backhanders from M$ might have had something to do with it.
Thanks also fotobits.  At one stage I did think of wiping the whole HD and doing a clean instal of Mint11 but it went against the grain to"throw away" Win 7 without trying it. I am no supporter of M$, having struggled through 95 & 98SE, both of which finally went unstable; but there are a small number of useful things that Linux does not find to be digestible and hence  I need some flavour of Windows. I am trying to modernise an old Dell with XP on it as an alternative. It is so much slower  than the HP laptop that it is not at all ideal but probably good enough as a Plan B.