cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Partition Recovery Software advice needed.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Partition Recovery Software advice needed.

Could the fact that the SATA is configured as AHCI have any bearing on the issue.
Feel free to slap me if this is the case.
From my Google attempts Bootmaster does not seem to be available any longer.
I can't knock your persistence RR Smiley
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Quote from: Strat

From my Google attempts Bootmaster does not seem to be available any longer.

You'd think I'd have a copy after paying for a licence, but after a quick look I can't see it in the obvious places.
i'll have a search about and see if I can find my copy, knowing my luck it'll be on a floppy!
Strat
Community Veteran

Appreciated Smiley
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
RobPN
Seasoned Hero

OK, found it!
I have a small (1.5MB) zipfile containing an .exe and an .iso for making either a bootable floppy or CD respectively.  Also a PDF manual.
If you'd like to PM me a suitable email address I'll send it to you.  Smiley
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

just out of interest before going down the route of asking for random options on recovering the deleted partition did you try booting from the windows cd and entering recovery console to replace the mbr record (its an option in recovery console), no need to disable the ssd just change boot sequence in bios to cd first then select recovery console and select the hdd to perform the mbr recovery ....
its a simple tool specifically to replace accidently deleted mbr's ......
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Strat
Community Veteran

I have tried that thanks.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: Strat
Could the fact that the SATA is configured as AHCI have any bearing on the issue.

If you set AHCI in BIOS then a suitable driver is loaded when you install Windows.  Your Windows boot process will fail if you revert to SATA in BIOS; I'm not completely sure if it's the other way around but I imagine it is.  When trying to resurrect your old (SATA) hard drive I recommend you disconnect the new SSD drive and switch the BIOS back to SATA for safety.  Maybe you'll find Startup Repair will work then.  If you get to the stage where you can boot from the Windows disk and see files on your old hard drive then you can go back to the point at which you got yourself into this mess in the first place. 
RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@Strat, BootMaster zipfile emailed  Wink
Strat
Community Veteran

Quote from: ReedRichards
you can go back to the point at which you got yourself into this mess in the first place.  

@RR my head has been hung suitably low since before I started this topic Embarrassed  Look on the bright side...I'll never learn Embarrassed
@Rob and safely received....many thanks.
TORPC
Grafter

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

Just thought of something to remind you of if you do manage to recover the 100MB System Reseved partition, you'll probably want that as the only 'Active' partition on the disk.
Strat
Community Veteran

No luck with SATA as IDE or Bootmaster Sad
However a week down the line and no critical stuff appears to have been lost so I have to call it quits and recycle the drive.
I do appreciate all the assistance offered here and I promise not to fix what's not broken in future.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

for future reference the 100mb partition is a functional requirement for bit locker encryption and also has uses with holding a secure boot loader

I'm surprised that using recovery console didn't allow for the partition to be recreated, a lot of people have had success with it in the past https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=windows+7+system+reserved+partition+recovery
but in any case you might want to delete all partitions off the drive then create a single partition on it and run chkdsk in an elevated command prompt
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

More or less what I was going to say.  You had not encrypted the drive, had you Strat? 
Strat
Community Veteran

No I hadn't.