cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Partition Manager 8

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Partition Manager 8

My wife's laptop has a partitioned hard drive with nearly 14G Bytes on the C: partitition, and about 35G Bytes on the 😧 partition. The free space on the C: drive is down to less than 1G Byte, while the 😧 drive has over 30G Byte unused. The laptop doesn't like C: being so full, and I have moved or removed all I can, including using Defrag. The laptop only has operating software of various processes on the C: partition. All data files are on the 😧 partition.
Is it possible to use Partition Magic 8 to move some of the spare capacity in 😧 to C: without damaging any of the s/w on either partition?
My unreliable memory tells me that the last time I adjusted a partition using PM8, I had to reload the s/w on both partitions, so I am being cautious.
My thanks in advance
12 REPLIES 12
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Partition Manager 8

Why not move the swap file to the D partition
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Make a new folder on the 😧 partition, call it 'My Documents' or somesuch. Then right click on your 'My Documents' folder on the C drive (the one in the start menu is probably best) and click on properties.
In the new box that pops up there should be an option to change the 'target folder location'. Click on 'Find Target' and point it to the folder you just created - most likely D:\My Documents - then close the browse box and click on 'Apply'. This should pop up asking you if you'd like to move all the files and folders into your new folder so click 'yes'.
This should move everything in your my documents folder onto the D partition WITHOUT disrupting the way your computer works. In addition, anything saved to my documents in future will be saved to the folder on D. This has a couple of benefits:
1) If you need to reinstall windows this can be done without losing any of your existing documents
2) It will free up space on C: (probably quite a lot, depending on how much you have in your my documents folder - bear in mind your music and pictures folders are in here by default)
Hope that helps,
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Hi fellas. I've tried your suggestions, firstly Obrey's because his was easier to do, and then OldJim's.
My wife's laptop is ahead of us, in that "My Documents" is already on the 😧 partition, so unfortunately, that didn't solve the problem. I have spent some time today checking for photos, documents, etc on the C: partition, but found none.
I wasn't able to get far with OldJim's suggestion because, although I had heard of swap files, I couldn't find any, nor could I identify where they would be created/stored (on the C: partition I assumed). The Windows XP Help thingy didn't provide any guidance. Any more details (how the creation and storage of them is controlled, where they are likely to be, what they are called, how to redirect them to the D; partition, etc) would be gratefully received.
Again, my thanks in advance.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

go to control panel/system/advanced/advanced/virtual memory/change
samuria
Grafter

You can use  partition manager or Partition magic with no problems simply shrink d: from the front then expand c: job done.
I have used it hundreds of times with no errors but its always a good idea to have a backup of all data first. It also depends if the drive d: is a  primary partition or an extended one.
If it extended its better to change it in PM to primary first then resize it
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Haven't tried Pierre-Pierre's method yet - the wife has taken her laptop to work for some reason. She doesn't normally do that cos there is a pc on her desk, so why today? Who knows - one of lifes mysterys.
Samuria - I'm not too familiar with using Partition Magic, so the following may just be a stupid question. If I find the D; partition is "extended" so I change it to "Primary", do I change it back to "extended" after the resize?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

if your machine is XP, you could look, you dont have to actually change anything, just cancel
samuria
Grafter

If you change it to primary there is no need to change it back. Just that an extended is a partition within a partition put simply. Any partition software should do a similar job
Santiago
Grafter

Quote from: penneck
- the wife has taken her laptop to work for some reason. She doesn't normally do that cos there is a pc on her desk, so why today? Who knows - one of lifes mysterys.

Maybe she heard you were going to go here on her laptop
Quote from: pierre_pierre
go to control panel/system/advanced/advanced/virtual memory/change

Grin Grin
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Sorry for the delay replying.
The answer to why my wife took her laptop pc to work was - her work pc had gone kaput (a Dell GX270 with a PSU problem - apparently not uncommon with this model).
Right. I have successfully transferred 7G from the D; partition to the C: partition. That solved the space problem, but while I have been working on this for the wife, I have had to do two other things on her pc that I'd like your thoughts on, please.
1. I had to uninstall Ad-aware 2008. According to Task Manager, aawsearch.exe was running at 99% CPU, so was just about stopping the pc. It doesn't seem to be a problem on my pc. Both pcs have or had Win XP, AVG8 Free, Spybot 1.6(? - it is the latest) and Ad-aware 2008 Free.
2. My wifes pc had problems shutting down because Teatimer (part of Spybot) was still running. Teatimer wouldn't stop unless you made it stop, and only then could the pc shut down. I "solved" this by uninstalling Spybot, and re-installing it without Teatimer. I assume that on my pc I must have installed Spybot without Teatimer anyway, hence why I didn't have the same problem. It seems strange to me that shutting down doesn't take into account Teatimer, stop it, and then finish the shutdown, rather than try to shut down then complain it cant shutdown because of Teatimer.
My thanks to all of you who helped me.
samuria
Grafter

Getting rid of the adaware etc is a good move it doesnt need to run all the time unless its a very high risk pc ie kids.
Install Winpatrol from http://www.winpatrol.com/
It take little or no cpu but its job is to stop any changes to vital parts of windows like startup IE etc. It works a treat as any spyware etc try to install at startup and this traps it so it never get infected. It has lots of other uses as well
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Samuria. Am installing Winptrol now.
Regards