cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parental Controls, internet time limits for android tablet

mp9999
Dabbler

Parental Controls, internet time limits for android tablet

I have just downloaded the mcAfee plusnet security to set some controls for my daughters use of the internet.  I want to stop her android hudl tablet after 9pm. 
The only settings available seem to be for windows users.  I've also gone into the router settings to see if this can be configured but nothing seems to help me.
Has anyone got any suggestions of other software I could use to do this?  Thanks
18 REPLIES 18
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Parental Controls, internet time limits for android tablet

It is possible to set controls by time of day on the router but it's not simple.  See here http://npr.me.uk/accesscontrol.html

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mp9999
Dabbler

Wooooaaaa ... that seems way over my head!  Thanks for the reply anyway.
I also should have said we have the TG582n router. 
Is there a software solution that an idiot like me could use?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

To do it in software would require something installed on the tablet ( if it existed ) and I'm sure your daughter would soon find out how to remove it!.
As you say, doing it at the router is not for the faint-hearted.
A question though, do you have any other devices that would need to use a wireless connection at that time?
if not there is a simple (although not foolproof) method, the wireless light on the TG582n is actually a button , a short press turns on the wifi and a long press, and hold until the light goes out, turns it off.
Just turn it off at 9pm and then turn it back on in the morning, or whenever...
Just don't tell her about the button Wink

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mp9999
Dabbler

I can use the off button now and again... but it would upset other users (including myself) to do this on a daily basis. 
Going to have to resort to the old fashioned method of going in her room to confiscate the hudl until morning... which will not make me popular, but responsible. 
Perhaps plusnet could look at making this a configurable option on the router in the future. I can see which devices are attached, I can see their ip addresses, I just want to restrict some of their use between 9pm and the following 9am. 
I did look on google play to find an app which may help but like you say, she'll find a way to disable it or bypass it.  Picking which one to try was baffling me too so I decided I needed to research it more (stick my head in the sand a bit longer).
Thanks for the suggestions  Smiley
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I can see which devices are attached, I can see their ip addresses, I just want to restrict some of their use between 9pm and the following 9am. 

Let me have a look and see if I can create a script for you that would make setting access control via the router a more easy option.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Hi, well I created some scripts and tried to use the utility tst10 suggested by npr here http://npr.me.uk/scripting.html but I'm afraid they didn't seem to run reliably.
I then tried the telnet commands separately and some didn't seem to be accepted. It looks like the TG582n doesn't completely implement the tod commands. They don't appear in the help list so maybe there's a clue there. Sad
Sorry about that but it looks like it's either the wifi button or confiscate the hudl...

mp9999
Dabbler

Thanks for your help trying.... 
Will work with the wifi off button until she susses what I'm doing  Wink
I'm thinking of looking at alternative routers too as I'm sure there will be more advanced ones than plusnet provide for free.  Anyone else done this? recommendations?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I'm thinking of looking at alternative routers too
I did think about that, I have a feeling one of my colleagues uses a BT Home Hub to do something similar, I'll ask him when he get's in to the office. From my own point of view I have no need of such facilities I'm afraid, my youngest daughter is >30 and both have long since left home Smiley

pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I've got a Billion 7800X and use it to 'regulate' access for my two children.  There are only 32 time restriction rules though and these are per device (based on MAC) so it's not as flexible as when I used a router running Gargoyle which allowed rules to be set for an IP range.
I'm sure others are available...
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I have a feeling one of my colleagues uses a BT Home Hub to do something similar,
Ok, so I'm reliably informed that both the Home Hub 4 and 5 provide this facility. You can pick up both versions easily on ebay and both will work with PlusNet. The HH4 is likely to be cheaper but if you're thinking of upgrading to Fibre in the near future then the HH5 might be a better bet.
Edit: a quick glance at ebay seems to incicate that HH4 is typically about £30-£40 whereas HH5 is typically £40-£50

npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Quote from: MisterW
It looks like the TG582n doesn't completely implement the tod commands. They don't appear in the help list so maybe there's a clue there. Sad

Hi MisterW,
Which firmware version are you running?
AFAIK the TOD commands work on the TG582n with R8 firmware don't know about R10.
I'd like to check this out to ensure the web page is correct.
A good alternative to tst10 is netcat (nc.exe), if you're interested the following is a script / example of how it's used.
http://npr.me.uk/dns-script.zip
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Hi npr,
F/w 10.2.5.2 I think, I'll check when I get home.
IIRC it was the 'tod schedule modify scheduleid=0 mode=timerange reference=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx state=enabled' that wasn't accepted, again I'll double check tonight.
Using scripts with tst10, the script just seemed to hang at times waiting for the '>'.
TBH I use Linux at home so I was only using tst10 (on an old windows laptop) to try and put togther some scripts that the OP might be able to use.

npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Thanks I'll check it out when I get chance. May take a few day cos I'm not using a Technicolor at present.
Yes I've had that problem, waiting for the ">", there's usually a way round it but can't remember how at present  -- it's usually trial and error.
I'm sure there's a Linux version of netcat if you need it.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I'd just use bash scripts on Linux