cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parental Control

balders

Parental Control

I'd like to limit the hours which some/all of the users at home can use the internet and specifically block access to certain sites.
Does anyone have any tips on how I can achieve either or both of these goals please.
10 REPLIES 10
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Parental Control

If it's all users restricted to a certain time and your router has the feature, it's easy.
You can block sites for all users by adding entries to your hosts file.
But children will always find a way round these restrictions...
If you only want to block some users, it is impossible to do reliably. Smiley

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Welcome to the forums balders.
What Operating System are you using?
Vista has configurable parental controls built-in.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Get several large alarm clocks with big bells on the top....
put a sticky label on the face of each one with the name of the person  it refers to. and the amount of time allowed
set the alarm to ring when the time limit has been reached. then pass the computer keyboard/laptop to the next person,
having set their alarm clock accordingly...
Alternatively. Pull the mains switch   (or router link  ) after the time has elapsed ! Wink
P.S.  site restrictions as per "Strat`s" Suggestion !
pierre_pierre
Grafter

put the PC in the living room so you can see what they are up to, after all you are the parent and are responsible for there actions until 18
itsme
Grafter

So after a daugther marries at 16 is the husband legally responsible to feed and clothe or the parents?
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

I've not used this 'residential' software personally, but Blue Coat as a company does have quite a good track record in Corporate Internet security.
http://www1.k9webprotection.com/
So feel free to take a look and see if it suits your needs?  If it is of any use, then a report back here would help others with the same query.
Maurice

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

balders

Many thanks to all for your welcome and responses. one or two alternative tactical approaches to apply. 
Start I will have alook for the controls you mention in Vista, which is the OS in my daughter's machine. I'll also have a look at Bluecoat.
Not sure whether to laugh or cry but my isssue temporarily went away today as said laptop was left at the bus stop and is currently missing. Am sure it will somehow re-surface though.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Clicking on the Start button and typing parental in the search box will find the link.
Sorry to hear about the laptop. Hope it turns up.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
LeedsKa

I've come across a site called Open DNS and have read several good reviews of it.  Netgear are providing access to it via the firmware of their routers (hint, hint).  This allows blocking of inappropriate sites to all computers on a wireless network.  It sounds too good to be true.
Has anybody tried it on a PlusNet wireless network?  Any problems? Any advice would be gratefully received. Are there other ways to achieve this?
Many thanks
Worried Parent (LeedsKa)
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

There is no problem in using OpenDNS on any router - you just need to change the servers to OpenDNS and create an account with OpenDNS.
However to make it work you will need a fixed IP address which isn't standard with Plusnet or indeed many ISP's
To change the DNS servers on the Thomson router have a look at the library article http://community.plus.net/library/hardware/how-to-change-the-default-dns-servers-in-a-thomson-speedt...