cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Panda Cloud Anti-Virus Software

Computech2000
Dabbler

Panda Cloud Anti-Virus Software

For those of you who are using Retail versions of Norton or McAfee Anti-virus, and are not aware of a new version of Anti-virus software.  Can I introduce you to PandaCloud, which I have been road-testing for a few months and have also had good feedback from some of my customers.
Unlike conventional Anti-Virus software it does not rely on daily updates to help protect a system, but maintains a constant connection to a Cloud-based database, which is constanly reviewed and updated to reflect what is actually happening in real-time on the Internet.
It is quite lightweight and if it does detect an attack it tends to deal with it at the perimeter rather than allowing a potential virus into the system andthen checking its internal database to see if it can deal wih it effectively.
I have experienced a number of attacks all of which have been repelled in real-time, with only a quick desktop message informing me that there was a virus attack, but has been dealt with.
I used to rely heavily on Malwarebytes as a support tool, but PandaCloud does not leave much for Malwarebytes to do anymore. In saying that MAB is always the first tool I would use to repair a PC that has already been infected.
If any other users are aware of these two great protection programs I would love to hear from you whether it is good or bad.
6 REPLIES 6
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Panda Cloud Anti-Virus Software

I tried the free version of Panda Cloud Antivirus when it was first released but after a while it got itself into a mess so I uninstalled it and replaced it with something else, as I had not seen anything to impress me.  That was some time ago so hopefully the current version is improved.
Computech2000
Dabbler

Thanks fir your comments ReedRichards.
PandaCloud has now been upgraded to version 2, so I would hope that the failings you experienced in its early days have now been sorted. I also tried AVG & AVAST for quite a long while, but after time I found them to becoming very bloated in same way as Norton & McAfee and causing system sluggishness to set in.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

At present I wouldn't consider it as the independent test results aren't as good as Kaspersky which also uses Cloud protection as do a range of other security products
http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/home-user/mayjun-2012/
http://www.av-comparatives.org/comparativesreviews/dynamic-tests
http://www.blog.mrg-effitas.com/category/malwareproducttesting/
Just to add - looking at the av-test results Symantec is much lighter than Panda and I know from other test results they made vast improvements to the lightness in the last few versions
Computech2000
Dabbler

Maybe I'm tarnished with Nortons, Kaspersky and McAFEE as on many occasions have found viruses on systems being protected by these retail paid for products.  Feedback from customers who have been testing PandaCloud has been very favourable, with viruses being dispensed briskly, before being able to reach the Windows system files and Registry.
Unfortunately, Kaspersky has had some adverse affects on a Golf Club and a Dental database that I support, whereby it keeps attacking  important database files and neither of the companies have been able to offer a solution.
I suppose all security solutions will have their good and bad points - it's just a case of locating one that suits a particular Windows installation.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Regarding McAfee - I can't think of any (good points that is)  Sad
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I suspect that you are enjoying a honeymoon period with Panda, Computech2000, but I don't see the fact that it is all gimmicky and cloudy offers any greater protection against false positives.
I agree with Oldjim, I can think of nothing to be said in favour of McAfee.